follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Sherb

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drove BRZ for 2 weeks and its been in shop since OCT 2015

I am just going to copy this from redit so I dont need to retype all of it. My father has been speaking with my insurance about this. We were going to get an attorney but welll do that when the time comes. If someone can explain how attorneys work for cars situations like this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...ber_need_help/ Link above for what happened. The body shop is going to now get me a 2016 BRZ of the same color. But they want us to either trade it in or sell it on craigslist. I dont get why I should have to trade the car in or resell it when the body shop screwed the car up in the first place. They only thing they didnt touch was the back seats. When it was at the dealership they didnt have the rubber seals on so when el nino happened it got flooded inside and the seat railings were damaged..
So can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I would really not like to have to post on craigslist to resell when I havent even been able to drive my car since October itll just be another long wait. Also if I trade it in wouldnt I owe more money on my current car loan for the car?
Sorry for all the questions this is my first time this has ever happened to me

You can see the rest of my replies in the link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...hop_since_mid/
Link to the original topic

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Like what pissed me off is that they want me to trade the car in to get a 2016 when It was clearly in an accident and the body shop CLEARLY messed up on it. A 3 week job turned into a almost 6-7 month job, and keep in mind Im still paying car insurance and my monthly car payment and I have only drive it 2 weeks
Sherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I would lawyer up and go after both the body shop and the insurance company. You pay insurance for them to deal with this sort of thing and they obviously have dropped the ball. Most lawyers have the first meeting at no charge so you really need to talk to them.
go_a_way1 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Sherb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I would lawyer up and go after both the body shop and the insurance company. You pay insurance for them to deal with this sort of thing and they obviously have dropped the ball. Most lawyers have the first meeting at no charge so you really need to talk to them.
My father says the insurance is gonna take care of it first. MY father wanted them to salvage the car. Because they touched everything but the back seats.
I should get a lawyer if the dealership forces me to trade the car in and raises my current car loan right?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Definitely go straight to a lawyer. They will have more knowledge in how to handle this and helping you out.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherb View Post
My father says the insurance is gonna take care of it first. MY father wanted them to salvage the car. Because they touched everything but the back seats.
I should get a lawyer if the dealership forces me to trade the car in and raises my current car loan right?
Do not for any reason trade the car in! You will probably get about 1/3rd of the value for it because of the circumstances. The insurance company needs to step up and write it off or the body shop needs to make up the difference in value. Then you can use that payment to get a new one. I would talk to a lawyer before I went any further.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
Sherb

I doubt my dad will trade it in after what the car has been through.

Isnt there lawyers that specialize in cars that will help you and split what you sue the body shop for? As you can see I am not too familiar with lawyers / car stuff
Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Your best bet would be to CALL A LAWYER and talk to them about the specifics of YOUR case. THEY will be able to tell you what YOUR options are.

Either that or have your dad call for you....since he is handling everything else apparently.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Sherb (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Sherb

from reddit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostelnik View Post
I agree. Cover yourself by getting an attorney in case they end up doing something shady to get rid of you. Wouldn't the insurance be covering a new vehicle? Or did the shop screw up the car so bad that they're giving in and essentially totalling the car and replacing it themselves? I would have put a stop to the work and had it transferred to another shop at the end of the first month or two. This time frame is just ridiculous.
The car get extremely screwed up so do you think they will be replacing it if we refuse to do a trade in value?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They fried the Electronics when they welded on the car without knowing what they were doing.

I would make the body shop's insurance total the car and THEY can do whatever they want to with it.
TELL (don't ask) your insurance company to make this happen.
Even tell them that since the body shop screwed up the electronics, the car will never be "trustworthy" again.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justatroll For This Useful Post:
frznBRZ (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
It sounds like you're young and in over your head.

Get a lawyer. Or get your dad to get a lawyer.

Your insurance company wants to reduce their cost as much as possible, so they may leave you holding the bag if you don't have someone advocating on your behalf. The body shop also wants to reduce their cost, and they may try to pass off responsibility for it to the insurance company. Each one will point fingers at the other and leave you with the problem. You need to have an attorney working on your behalf to make sure that both the body shop and the insurance company do what they need to do to make you whole.

There are lawyer referral services. Start with your state bar's website. Or one of the attorney rating sites like Avvo. Or just ask friends and relatives if they can recommend anyone. There are lawyers who specialize in auto accidents, and they're not hard to find.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
I think you should get an attorney and go after the body shop (who in turn will file a claim with their insurance company) for:

-Loss of use of vehicle while it was in the shop for months
-Value of getting a new BRZ
-Attorney fees

Your attorney will tell your insurance company he/she is now representing you, and then your insurance company will have to start going through your attorney as well. That way the attorney is handling all the communications/everything from then on out.
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #12
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone is saying lawyer up, but it seems like you guys haven't even been pushy with your own insurance yet. You need to get on the phone and help them understand that it's their job to get this sorted. Tell them all of the crap the body shop has done wrong and make sure they understand that the shop flooded the car due to negligence.

Then lawyer up.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
benrz
button pusher.

Drives: S.HB BRZ | TL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Everyone is saying lawyer up, but it seems like you guys haven't even been pushy with your own insurance yet. You need to get on the phone and help them understand that it's their job to get this sorted. Tell them all of the crap the body shop has done wrong and make sure they understand that the shop flooded the car due to negligence.

Then lawyer up.
This. 100% this.
benrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post

Then lawyer up.

Exactly. This is what you pay insurance companies for. To fight BS battles like this that you shouldn't have to. Obviously your insurance company isn't understanding the situation, or just not reputable. I'd be shopping for a difference insurer after you get things sorted.
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote