follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Drives: 98'GSX 11'Tundra 10'Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone measued cylinder walls of fa20 yet?

My wife and I are in the market for a fourth car in the near future, and since im part of this forum I think you can guess what we are looking at

sooo... being inclined and curious to research engines I have limited experence with I present thoughts of cylinder wall inconsistency from subaru when upgrading to forged pistons down the road.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2279165&page=9

as a reference the link above.

thoughts?

Last edited by dsmx17; 10-03-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Tried to edit title because I suck at spelling...didnt work.
dsmx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You might try asking Crawford Performance about that. They just replaced the pistons and rods in a car they put a turbo on.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Crawford would be the best bet, they're the only group I know of who have done a complete engine teardown. They have posted pics on their facebook page, and unfortunately due to some debacle with the admins here they aren't active on the forum any longer. ...sadface...

They and most others were impressed with the engine, the piston ringlands were beefed over the EJ257's, but if the cylinder walls are in question, do you have plans for huge power with forged internals or are you just worried in general? Accelerated Performance/Visconti is confident with an 11-sec 440hp+ bolt-on-E85-tune to deliver as-is to customers with all stock internals. (After lots of hard drag passes and hard 30min track sessions and they're still improving on it).

I read only a small portion of that thread, and it looked like like an isolated thread grenade. Is this happening with any consistency or just a few individuals with forged bits have had blocks pop and raised questions?

Considering the number of tuned high-boost Subaru engines are out there, if it was a serious problem, I suspect it'd be more common knowledge...
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Dave,

I think it was just the STI 2.5ej series but am not sure if it is all subaru flat fours that have inconsistency in bore from cylinder to cylinder.

as for big power, that would not be in the near future more thinking out loud for future adventure (I currently have a stock bottom end 4g63 making 670whp) so im not scared to push the stock bits as far as possible, would just be nice to know what to expect from a machining standpoint the potential for .03 difference from bore to bore could be interesting for a set of forged pistons/gapless rings to make good contact. (sorry if that wasnt a full thought ive been typing this for 20 minutes at work between talking with customers)

Honestly, I think the Frs or Brz will make a great stock block boosted car, at most might run higher strength head studs and head gaskets but otehr than that I've been very impressed with this engine (and by nature as a mitsubishi guy I typically hate anything subaru has touched)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Subaru does stamp the blocks with A and B per cylinder depending on the bore size so there are variances cylinder to cylinder sometimes. Forged pistons require more clearance to account for thermal expansion so you do not need to keep track of whether it should be an A or B sized piston like the stock cast ones. Many have installed off the shelf forged pistons into a EJ257 block and I doubt the FA20 is much different.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

assuming I wouldnt run a over bore piston is where the issue rises though, (I know "stock" bore forged pistons are still slightly larger .002 or so) but the point would be to have cylinder walls so new that a simple hone and drop in piston/rod combo is what my concern is. Yes it may work, but it also may have excessive blowby or even worse expansion cracking the walls. Which ofcourse, would suck.