follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2024, 12:26 AM   #1
Walldodger

Drives: Four wheels, two seats, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't find rear upper ball joints

I feel like I've searched around as far as can but can't find any replacement ball joints. I can find plenty of rear upper arm assemblies, and front ball joints.

Does anyone out there know if any are available?

Bonus speculation, has any one tried seeing if the front lower, and rear upper are interchangeable/the same part? If so, front ones are easy to find.

Thanks
Walldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM   #2
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldodger View Post
Bonus speculation, has any one tried seeing if the front lower, and rear upper are interchangeable/the same part? If so, front ones are easy to find.
They won't be interchangeable, I don't think. I'm not sure if the rear upper is tapered or not. However, I do know it has a groove for a bolt that goes through the upright, and the edge of the bolt sits in that groove so the stud can't pull out. And then when the bolt is tightened, the knuckle pinches and grips the stud. It's a totally different connection mechanism to the front lowers.

RockAuto has Dorman rear upper control arms for under $100 ea. Maybe just go that route? Then you get new bushings, too.
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote