follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Issues while approaching 10k - need help

I am a complete noob when it comes to car diagnostics. My BRZ is approaching 10k and i have owned it for 14 months now. It is my daily driver, however my work place is only about 2 miles away from the house, so i don't get to enjoy it as much during week days. I do go on spirited drives and autocross at least once a month and countless car meets during the weekends.

Would really appreciate the community if some of you guys could help me out. Some might not be anything, but are definitely getting annoying.

1. Shifter rattle.
I noticed this not long after i got the car. when driving at high RPM and speed(4.5 to 6k), my shifter starts to vibrate and making rattling sound like crazy(similar to the sound an electric toothbrush makes if you place it on a counter). It gets dampened if i put a firm grip on my shifter. This happens on every spirited drive and doesn't usually happen if i'm just going to a meet or to work when i'm not pushing the car as hard(altho it still does happens sometimes)

2. Poping sound while turning in reverse.
I stated this issue a few threads ago. about 2 or 3 months ago, i've noticed every time i back out of my drive way, i can hear a distinct poping sound. This always occurs in the morning while i'm backing out of my drive way. particularly when i'm in the middle of turning my steering wheel while the car is backing out of the driveway. the sound is very similar to the sound in the video(see below) but instead of a series of pops, i only get 1. and I can't always replicate it later on. like i said, it only seem to happen when the car is cold or has been resting a while.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76006

3. Spring sound I have yet to identify the cause...
So lately, perhapse around the same time i hear the poping sound, occasionally i would hear spring sound (like when its being stretched). At first i thought it was the clutch peddle, then it was like the brake peddle, then it seem to happen when i'm going over speed bumps without even pressing down on anything(clutch is already in). perhaps its related to #2?

4. Gear Grind (rare)
This only happened to me maybe 4-5 times since i had the car(all in the last 6 months). Usually this happens when i shift from 2nd to 3rd iirc. i use the same pressure to shift as i always have, but it could grind. i would put it back to neutral and repress the clutch all the way in and shift again and everything would be ok. maybe its my own error? i have only been driving manual for about 3-4 years.

5. front DRL LEDs are fogging up.

above are the notable "issues", i have been loving the car and would hate to see i neglected something important. still learning about cars and this forum has helped me so much!

Thanks for reading and i'll buy you a beer next time you are in my area if you help me out!

Last edited by slyphen; 09-02-2015 at 07:40 PM.
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
@slyphen, There is a TSB for shifter rattle, dealer will fix it. My stock coil springs make noise when backing out of my driveway while turning, It is normal for springs to make a binding nosie every once and a while. As for the griding maybe your syncos are starting to go?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
slyphen (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
@slyphen, There is a TSB for shifter rattle, dealer will fix it. My stock coil springs make noise when backing out of my driveway while turning, It is normal for springs to make a binding nosie every once and a while. As for the griding maybe your syncos are starting to go?
Great info! I'll make sure to mention the TSB when i visit the dealer this friday!

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hi ya slyphen ........

I see where go_a_way1 turned you on to the shifter rattle TSB.

As far as the popping sounds ....... did you try spraying the spring seats with silicone spray ..... ??

The occasional shift grind from 2nd to 3rd could be the "lazy leg" syndrome. I suggest you make a conscience effort to shift firmly and slowly between gears while pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
slyphen (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyphen View Post
Great info! I'll make sure to mention the TSB when i visit the dealer this friday!

Thanks a lot!
Anytime.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
slyphen (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission problems: Try flushing the transmission fluid... I personally went with Motul Gear 300 and it made everything noticeably smoother.

Clunking problem: Check the torque on your front strut towers and also the braces. Chances are, they are a bit loose and things are shifting around when you back out of the driveway.
slyphen (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
For the popping sound, have you tried parking your car by backing up so that you can exit by driving forward? And see if it still makes the noise? My car makes a single popping noise the first time the body flexes. If I drive on a completely flat road for a mile, it won't make the noise for a mile. Since it's only a single pop per trip, I haven't bothered to find out what it is.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
slyphen (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
For the popping sound, have you tried parking your car by backing up so that you can exit by driving forward? And see if it still makes the noise? My car makes a single popping noise the first time the body flexes. If I drive on a completely flat road for a mile, it won't make the noise for a mile. Since it's only a single pop per trip, I haven't bothered to find out what it is.
I have yet to successfully replicate the noise. i tried to do the same maneuver at my work's parking lot and everything operated normal. maybe its a morning thing when temperature is low?

It only pop once and thats it. My parking spot is by no means flat, but it is relatively smooth. you can't even tell that it is slanted unless i put the car in neutral and move foot off the brake.(i would slowly roll backward) i'll keep trying to replicate it...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Car is totaled. Sorry, you have to go get an FRS now.

I will be patiently waiting for my free beer on the next drive together. :P

In all seriousness, hope the issues get fixed man! After searching past threads, it seems people simply went in and asked for new DRL housings from the dealer. Take pics for proof!
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
slyphen (09-02-2015)