Old 05-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #56289
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
When I was a kid, I was a Mac fan and my friend was a PC fan. He loved DOS and how much control he had over the computer. I pointed out that the Mac GUI just worked better 99% of the time. It's the manual vs auto debate. Once you get enough HP and torque then load on an 8-speed+ auto, there's little reason to go with a manual. The autos are faster in a straight line and on track. With paddles, you can even downshift in anticipation of a pass. This is different from, say, a Miata or a twin, where the low power seems to go better with a manual's lighter weight and greater power efficiency.

So for a twin, you're a wuss if you get an auto. You can aim for the highest performance and build a skill. But if you have 300+ lb/ft of torque and a good auto transmission option, may as well get it. No matter how good you are with a manual, the auto will be faster.

This is why the first GT4 is so stupid to me. It has more power but no PDK, so it's purposefully slower than it could be. The new one with PDK is gonna be an amazingly fast track car.