View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Either the search engine is not very good, or there isn't a single thread on this whole site with "E85" in the title. That doesn't seem right. Anyway...
Your search failed because the keyword was too short Best way to search is to use google in the format "E85 site:www.ft86club.com/forums/"

I did an E85 how to for BRZedit a couple months ago.

Quote:
Pending a local gas station responding to my email and confirming they do indeed offer E85,
There are several web sites that you can use to locate E85 stations and iphone / android apps as well.

Here is a government site for example:

Quote:
What all needs to be done for a proper, long term, 100% E85 setup? I know you can just get a tune and go, but I want to do it right.
I think the general consensus these days is that all modern vehicles can run E85 without any long term issues, assuming your supply is always clean. If your supply is contaminated you can get some nasty gunk build up on the injectors and the valves. The solution to the gunk is to run a tank of regular premium gasoline every couple months.

Quote:
Is a tune alone all I need for smooth running performance and longevity, or should I seriously consider injectors, sensors, etc.? If so, what makes the additional parts necessary?
E85 requires about 30 - 35% more fuel to be injected than pump gas does. If your fuel system has the headroom all you need is a tune to scale the injectors for the added fuel delivery. Our fuel systems have enough headroom if you stay naturally aspirated, if you go forced induction, your will need to upgrade the port injectors.

Quote:
I believe I read somewhere that E85 doesn't get as good of mileage per gallon as regular gasoline.
This is true. To over simplify it E85 requires 30 - 35% more fuel to reach it's stoich point (ideal ratio of fuel to oxygen for complete combustion) than gasoline does. As a result you need to re calibrate the ecu for the additional fuel flow and you will loose some MPG. In the real world i am seeing about a 20% max drop in gas mileage.

E85 is a higher octane fuel and it is oxygenated, since you burn more of it, you make more power just by using it. You also make more power by optimizing the tune to take advantage of the higher octane. As a result, you use less throttle for cruising than gasoline so the mileage drop is not as bad as the additional fuel requirement would lead you to believe.

Quote:
I'm also open to and would appreciate any other insight to the mysterious world of E85-onlyness.
You need to decide if E85 is readily available enough to you for you to run it all the time. It's not quite as simple as flashing back to a pump gas map and filling up with 93 if you get stuck in an area without E85. It is, but, you really need to run the tank down as much as you possibly can to avoid fuel trim issues etc. Same is true when you go back to E85 from pump gas.

Flex Fuel kits allow you you mix and match at will but the convenience comes at a high price.

Some of the reputable tuners that offer E85 tunes are Delicious tuning, FA20club (also offers a flex fuel kit), Moto-East. Personally, i would avoid visconti. IF you are a DIY guy you can buy BRZedit and follow my E85 How To and do your own corn tune
Anthony (08-25-2013), asher187 (08-27-2013), ATL BRZ (08-25-2013), EAGLE5 (08-25-2013), evox2frs (08-25-2013), ftc~brz (08-29-2013), gonzo (04-15-2014), GT86_PRAGUE (06-03-2015), Hawaiian (08-25-2013), Nightbringer (08-25-2013), Obja (08-28-2013), shiro (08-26-2013), Sonolin (08-28-2013), Sportsguy83 (08-25-2013), unsurety (06-17-2014)