follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZedit E85 How-To

Greetings,
So, after much debate and sitting on the fence I finally decided to give E85 a shot... Until recently it has not been available in my area but that has changed recently. Anyway, after a lot of inner debate I finally decided to give it a shot. I figured, if I like the results it will help tide me over until Nameless releases the Tri-Y long tubes...

This is not a thread to discuss the pro's and con's of ethanol, there are plenty of those around. It Is a thread to show BRZedit users how to do the "conversion" and to discuss related tuning issues.

What needs doing
Esentially, you will need to do two things:
  1. scale both sets of injectors for the additional fuel required with running ethanol fuels
  2. Tune the ignition timing for MBT

Additional Fuel Requirements
As i was getting ready to do the conversion i put together a little spreadsheet to help me figure out the additional fueling requirements of various ethanol blends. After some fine tuning, it turns out these numbers are VERY close and should prove helpful.

You will want to pickup an ethanol content test kit so you can test the blend at your local stations. My local station turned out to be E80, i assume this will get stronger as we get deeper into the summer.

So, what you need to do is figure out how many gallons of fuel you have left at a given fuel gauge reading then look up the splash blend on the chart. I fugured out where the point was that I would have 2 gallons of E10 left in the tank. I then when and picked up three 5 gallon gas cans and headed to my local E85 pump. I put 4 gallons in each can and headed home with 12 gallons of E85. I then drove around till i got to the 2 gallons left point.

Scale the injectors
I want to give a HUGE thank you to Tony (Toni?) over at @FA20Club.com for helping me figure out which map controls the scaling of the direct injectors. There are several suspects but it turns out GDI Pressure Multiplier A & B are the tables we will use to scale the DI's. The Port injectors are scaled using Injector Flow Scaling.

On to the process:
  1. Open up GDI Pressure Multiplier A
  2. From the Maps menu select Edit, Select All
  3. From the maps menu, select Data Mul...
  4. In the multiplier % box enter the additional fuel required (131 for E80, 127 for E70 etc))
  5. From the maps menu, select Edit, Select all, copy whole map
  6. Selecte GDI Pressure Multiplier B
  7. From the maps menu, select edit, paste
  8. Select Injector Flow Scaling
  9. From the maps menu select, Data Mul...
  10. Enter (100 - (0.85 * additional fuel)) For E85 this would be 72 for E70 this would be 77
  11. Save the map

So, with the DI's we scale up the flow rate, with the port injectors, we scale down the size to increase the pulse width. My testing showed to keep things balanced, you needed 100% change on the DI's and about 85% change on the Ports.

Go ahead and add a degree of timing globally for mixes over E70. I added 1 up to 2000 rpm and 40 load, then 2 from 2000 / 40 load and up.

Here is a screen shot of stock scaling vs E80 scaling:

Tip-In Enrichment
As many of us are noticing, the factory tip-in enrichment settings leave something to be desired... sometimes resulting in tip-in knock retard. This is an optional step, but one i have decided to use, scaling the tip-in tables up to account for the additional fuel requirements.
  1. Open Throttle Delta Fuel Comp A
  2. From the map menu, select Edit, Select All
  4. Enter the additional required fuel (133 for E85, 127 for E70)
  5. From the maps menu, select Edit, Copy Whole Map
  6. Open Throttle Delta Fule Comp B
  7. From the maps menu, Select Edit, Paste

I have also added an additional 10% from 0.00 to 5.86% delta. This will probably need some fine tuning for each setup.

Initial Tuning
I did several iterations of maps based on various mix ratios from adding 4 gallons E80 at a time to the 2 gallons of E10 i had in the tank. It does take a minute for the Ethanol blend to work it's way through the system so you have the option of pulling up the logger, starting the car on the pump gas map and watching the fuel trims until they start to swing heavily in the positive direction... at that point, shut it down, flash the E map, start it back up and wait for the trims to settle down.

You will want to watch the injection mode. 1 is port only, 2 is DI only, 3 is combined. You can free rev the engine and hold it at various modes to see how the rough scaling is working out. Based on all my testing, the numbers i posted should be very close. You will probably need to adjust the maf scaling a little bit at idle, once off idle the numbers should be bang on.

Take it for a drive, log your trims and your injection mode. Adjust as needed. You should now be ready to hit the dyno

Cold Start Tuning
Will update as it starts to get cold, There are several tables to adjust from cranking enrichment to warm-up enrichment.

MBT tuning
You can either burn through your tank of diluted E mix and fill up again or head on to the dyno, thats up to you. I waited until the 2nd tank.

Once on the dyno, dial in your AFR's. I tired several variations between low 12's (12.1) and high 12's (12.9) and did not find much difference at all so i settled on 12.6 for the first tune.

Next up is timing. Hopefully you are starting from your pump gas tune with a good timing map. You will add timing 1 degree at a time and make a pull. Once you reach the point where you stop seeing noticeable gains at a given rpm, you stop adding timing there, and back it off a little bit. Work your way up the rpm range, You will not be able to add much timing bellow 4,000 or so if you were tuned on 93 octane, but it will take a lot more timing up top. Keep working your way up, watching for knock retard and or knock correction. As you add timing you may need to add a little fuel to keep AFR's where you want them. When your done with timing, do a couple of back to back pulls to make sure there is no knock retard.

Back off the tune a degree or so (depends on your degree of confidence) and flash your final map.

attached is the plot my my best pump gas tune vs my first E85 tune. Same mods (FA20club.com CAI, Nameless catted Front / Over pipe, Nameless axle back), same dyno, 2 weeks apart.
Attached Images

Last edited by mad_sb; 06-17-2013 at 04:33 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-17-2013), Drift-Office (06-17-2013), evox2frs (06-17-2013), jamesm (06-17-2013), JiB (06-18-2013), Lateapex (06-27-2013), Lonewolf (06-17-2013), SportInjected (06-17-2013), Sportsguy83 (06-17-2013), Wayno (02-25-2015)
Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Awesome! This is the type of stuff this community needs.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Nice write up. How much timing did you end up running at 7000 RPM?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice work for those of use who dont like to search what are your mods again....
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FA20Club.com For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA20Club.com View Post
Nice work for those of use who dont like to search what are your mods again....
FA20 CAI, Nameless Catted Over / Front Pipe, Nameless Axle Back. FA20 Oil Cooler once i get off my butt again
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Nice write up. How much timing did you end up running at 7000 RPM?
logged is around 28*.. cam timing makes a big difference in what you can run up top as well.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Greetings,
So, after much debate and sitting on the fence I finally decided to give E85 a shot...

You are awesome. Thanks a lot, lots of people will appreciate this!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
gimme a call later
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA20Club.com View Post
gimme a call later
PM me your number again please.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Jeff Gray
VizMark Performance

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Greetings,
So, after much debate and sitting on the fence I finally decided to give E85 a shot... Until recently it has not been available in my area but that has changed recently. Anyway, after a lot of inner debate I finally decided to give it a shot. I figured, if I like the results it will help tide me over until Nameless releases the Tri-Y long tubes...

This is not a thread to discuss the pro's and con's of ethanol, there are plenty of those around. It Is a thread to show BRZedit users how to do the "conversion" and to discuss related tuning issues.

What needs doing
Esentially, you will need to do two things:
  1. scale both sets of injectors for the additional fuel required with running ethanol fuels
  2. Tune the ignition timing for MBT

Additional Fuel Requirements
As i was getting ready to do the conversion i put together a little spreadsheet to help me figure out the additional fueling requirements of various ethanol blends. After some fine tuning, it turns out these numbers are VERY close and should prove helpful.

You will want to pickup an ethanol content test kit so you can test the blend at your local stations. My local station turned out to be E80, i assume this will get stronger as we get deeper into the summer.

So, what you need to do is figure out how many gallons of fuel you have left at a given fuel gauge reading then look up the splash blend on the chart. I fugured out where the point was that I would have 2 gallons of E10 left in the tank. I then when and picked up three 5 gallon gas cans and headed to my local E85 pump. I put 4 gallons in each can and headed home with 12 gallons of E85. I then drove around till i got to the 2 gallons left point.

Scale the injectors
I want to give a HUGE thank you to Tony (Toni?) over at @FA20Club.com for helping me figure out which map controls the scaling of the direct injectors. There are several suspects but it turns out GDI Pressure Multiplier A & B are the tables we will use to scale the DI's. The Port injectors are scaled using Injector Flow Scaling.

On to the process:
  1. Open up GDI Pressure Multiplier A
  2. From the Maps menu select Edit, Select All
  4. In the multiplier % box enter the additional fuel required (131 for E80, 127 for E70 etc))
  5. From the maps menu, select Edit, Select all, copy whole map
  6. Selecte GDI Pressure Multiplier B
  7. From the maps menu, select edit, paste
  8. Select Injector Flow Scaling
  9. From the maps menu select, Data Mul...
  10. Enter (100 - (0.85 * additional fuel)) For E85 this would be 72 for E70 this would be 77
  11. Save the map

So, with the DI's we scale up the flow rate, with the port injectors, we scale down the size to increase the pulse width. My testing showed to keep things balanced, you needed 100% change on the DI's and about 85% change on the Ports.

Go ahead and add a degree of timing globally for mixes over E70. I added 1 up to 2000 rpm and 40 load, then 2 from 2000 / 40 load and up.

Here is a screen shot of stock scaling vs E80 scaling:

Tip-In Enrichment
As many of us are noticing, the factory tip-in enrichment settings leave something to be desired... sometimes resulting in tip-in knock retard. This is an optional step, but one i have decided to use, scaling the tip-in tables up to account for the additional fuel requirements.
  1. Open Throttle Delta Fuel Comp A
  2. From the map menu, select Edit, Select All
  4. Enter the additional required fuel (133 for E85, 127 for E70)
  5. From the maps menu, select Edit, Copy Whole Map
  6. Open Throttle Delta Fule Comp B
  7. From the maps menu, Select Edit, Paste

I have also added an additional 10% from 0.00 to 5.86% delta. This will probably need some fine tuning for each setup.

Initial Tuning
I did several iterations of maps based on various mix ratios from adding 4 gallons E80 at a time to the 2 gallons of E10 i had in the tank. It does take a minute for the Ethanol blend to work it's way through the system so you have the option of pulling up the logger, starting the car on the pump gas map and watching the fuel trims until they start to swing heavily in the positive direction... at that point, shut it down, flash the E map, start it back up and wait for the trims to settle down.

You will want to watch the injection mode. 1 is port only, 2 is DI only, 3 is combined. You can free rev the engine and hold it at various modes to see how the rough scaling is working out. Based on all my testing, the numbers i posted should be very close. You will probably need to adjust the maf scaling a little bit at idle, once off idle the numbers should be bang on.

Take it for a drive, log your trims and your injection mode. Adjust as needed. You should now be ready to hit the dyno

Cold Start Tuning
Will update as it starts to get cold, There are several tables to adjust from cranking enrichment to warm-up enrichment.

MBT tuning
You can either burn through your tank of diluted E mix and fill up again or head on to the dyno, thats up to you. I waited until the 2nd tank.

Once on the dyno, dial in your AFR's. I tired several variations between low 12's (12.1) and high 12's (12.9) and did not find much difference at all so i settled on 12.6 for the first tune.

Next up is timing. Hopefully you are starting from your pump gas tune with a good timing map. You will add timing 1 degree at a time and make a pull. Once you reach the point where you stop seeing noticeable gains at a given rpm, you stop adding timing there, and back it off a little bit. Work your way up the rpm range, You will not be able to add much timing bellow 4,000 or so if you were tuned on 93 octane, but it will take a lot more timing up top. Keep working your way up, watching for knock retard and or knock correction. As you add timing you may need to add a little fuel to keep AFR's where you want them. When your done with timing, do a couple of back to back pulls to make sure there is no knock retard.

Back off the tune a degree or so (depends on your degree of confidence) and flash your final map.

attached is the plot my my best pump gas tune vs my first E85 tune. Same mods (FA20club.com CAI, Nameless catted Front / Over pipe, Nameless axle back), same dyno, 2 weeks apart.
Where can I download BRZEdit?
VizMark Performance
Jeff Gray is offline   Reply With Quote