Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
I might have a bit of a different point of view than some. My 2015 FR-S is my daily driver here in greater Boston area. In 4 1/2 years, I have put 60K miles on my FR-S. I do not track, drift, or auto-x my FR-S even though I drive it briskly almost every day. I haven't modded my vehicle at all. I have stayed with straight, scheduled dealer service. Other than tire choice, mine is stock (after having reverted back from TRD exhaust and intake for the first 30,000 miles) I like to use it for solo long trips and the aftermarket exhaust was just too loud.

I love driving it and get great satisfaction that it gets me where I want to go every day. I am a musician who plays large brass instruments. I am also librarian and treasurer for a 30 piece brass band and have to carry boxes of music and CD's frequently to concerts. So the fact that the trunk is decent sized and the storage space with the seat down is really VERY good is a big plus and a major reason why I cannot replace it with a Miata or maybe even a Supra.

In the summer I use 215/45-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the stock wheels. They ride better, handle much better are a bit quieter than the stock Bridgestone tires. In the winter, I use 205/50-16 Blizzak WS-80s on 16" wheels. Aside from ground clearance, I have NO issues whatsoever driving in crappy snowy conditions.

The most important option I have purchased for my FR-S is the Toyota brand aftermarket center armrest. The big "hole" in the center console just didn't work for me on trips. Other options include an aftermarket shift knob (big white cue-ball round thing), factory GPS (eh...), Weathertechs, factory rear spoiler.

SO I find that MOST of the time, my FR-S is every bit as utilitarian as my 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed that it replaced but is vastly more satisfying to drive. I would much rather drive my FR-S in almost any situation than my wife's 2011 Camry or the 2018 RAV-4 Hybrid that replaced the Camry. Clearly there are space limitations in the FR-S when dealing with more than 2 passengers or trying to transport large boxes, etc. After all it is a SPORTS CAR.

What the FR-S is NOT...
  • The FR-S/86 is not a GT/Touring car, it is a SPORTS CAR. Even though it is a coupe and not a roadster, the ride and general noise level will put many off. It is relatively loud even with the stock exhaust. You get significant tire noise no matter what kind of tires you use. You "feel" the pavement, even with the stock suspension.
  • The 86 is not a muscle car. I find the performance adequate for any driving that I do in my 6 speed manual version. I would probably be disappointed if I had purchased the automatic. In the 7+ year lifespan of the model, the constant complaint is MORE POWER.
  • The 86 is not a family car. The idea of putting even a small kid in the back seat is at best, a pain in the back. I suspect that many young couples who purchased an FR-S/BRZ/86 over the last 7+ years as family transportation, found that it had to be replaced (or augmented) when the first child arrived.

What the FR-S IS...
  • A Hell of a lot of fun.
  • The most engaging car I have ever owned (I am 67 years old).
  • A great choice for empty nesters like my wife and I. Especially since we have a "family" car for situations where needed.
  • And for me over 60,000 miles so far, it has been reliable.

Doug
Excellent review.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote