View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #2229
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_Rosamond View Post
While I am not an engineer, my '06 4Runner also has the Automatic transmission "bump" in it. when creeping forwards from a dead stop, you may feel some kind of driveline lash. I can't explain it, but since I don't see a whole bunch of complaints on it over at the 4Runner site, I don't think that you have much to worry about.
There are actually many complaints about that and it's a well known issue. The axle yoke is 'sticking' when it telescopes due to axle wrap when braking. It happens on the 4Runner, FJ and other Toyota prado based vehicles. Incidentely, it seems Toyota finally released a TSB for this after many years of people complaining. If you lubricate the joint real well, this usually alleviates it for a while.

I can say with certainty as having had both an FJ and 4Runners, what I experienced was not the same issue. When I got the drivetrain 'bump' in my FR-S, it was happening every time I let my foot off the brake and then again when I put it back on. If this 'bump' is caused by a sticking axle yoke, it's probably only going to happen each time you stop and depending how hard you apply the brakes. This only happened once to my FR-S though so I have no idea what it was or if it was ever going to happen again.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote