Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Edit: for my Helldivers review.

Stay Away.
Got an email at work from our cyber guys.
The anti-cheat is known spyware/malware.
Something else I didn't know is it has kernel level access which is super sus if you ask me.
Most if not all recent (Windows) anti-cheat has kernel access. It's one of the reasons why so many online only competitive games don't work on the Steamdeck/Linux. For a program to get kernel access it would need root access, Steam/Proton/Wine runs in userspace only and doesn't get access to the kernelspace.
Helldivers 2 apparently works on steamdeck/linux thanks to a loophole in a recent Proton update.
So if you want to play Helldivers, play it on steamdeck/linux.

Some anti cheat support (BattleEye and Easy AntiCheat) support Steam/Proton and just need to be enabled by the developer (just press a "Support Proton" button), but most devs don't do it because of the "not-possible-to-spy-on-users-on-linux" problem.

I you are afraid of spying anti-cheat do not install Valorant.
Valorant anti-cheat is a known rootkit and is known to F up pc's.
Or BSoD you because you have singleplayer cheats for SP only game.

Edit:
In cause somebody claims you can't game on linux, example a is the steamdeck, example b, I run Cyberpunk 2077 on Psycho settings and Path tracing, using Heroic launcher on a Linux Mint install.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elBarto For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-07-2024), soundman98 (03-08-2024), Spuds (03-07-2024), Wally86 (03-09-2024), weederr33 (03-07-2024)