Old 01-12-2024, 05:31 PM   #3
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
"They" recommend 60k miles for the plugs mostly to sell more hardware and service.
I put 90k on mine, but only changed them out because I needed a new throw-out bearing around then.

What is usually the weak link is the individual coils that bolt on top of the plugs.
Overheating at the track or idling in the pits is the most common coil killer.
It's not usually a problem driving around, even in the hills.
Those can be replaced fairly easily (sort of, depending on unbolting a few other things).

Changing out plugs can happen too. There's only four of them.
Unbolting a few other things, and a jack, or small hands in situ.

Generally any independent garage can handle it.
Subarus have been a commodity transaction for decades.
I don't have local Portland recs though.
I'll piggyback on this post and add that I have never had issues with my plugs, but I've had to swap out the ignition coils for cylinder 1 & 3 more than once.

Specifically, this is a common problem when there is an aftermarket header that isn't wrapped and the repeated heat cycles in aggressive driving causes them to fail.
(I believe the latest revision of the BRZ coils have mostly mitigated this issue. Might be worth swapping them if you haven't done so before & do plugs and coils at the same time)
~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati.Femme View Post
Hi All,

I've finally hit the mileage for spark plugs. And we all know that is the achilles heel to our horizontal 4's. Does anyone have a shop they would recommend to take my BRZ to for this? I'd prefer not to pay dealer prices, but I know that is an option.

TIA!
Back to your original question, I personally have a contact out in Forest Grove, OR that is very competent and inexpensive.
However, I don't think that is physically very close to you. He's my main mechanic for my Edelbrock SC BRZ
(He works on Ferrari & other highly modified cars all the time)

Let me know if you're interested
- Aztec
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-13-2024), Ducati.Femme (01-16-2024)