Old 06-29-2022, 03:41 AM   #4189
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Say I want to handle a rough road at fun speeds on semi-custom coilovers, Ohlins DFV with a choice of valving. Stock height or slightly higher.

Road has dips. Bumps. Speed bumps. Mid corner road catastrophes. Single wheel bumps. Double wheel bumps.

Which way do I go?

Springs can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer.
Damping can be stockish, stiffer, or much stiffer - adjustable in Ohlins range.
Antiroll bars can be stock, stiffer, or much stiffer - probably adjustable.

I'm thinking stockish spring rates, stiffer damping, and stiffer antiroll bars would mean the car would be on bump stops less, handle bumps better, and not sacrifice ride quality. Might even be better ride quality with better damper quality.

If shocks Ohlins DFV curves are designed for springs of x stiffness, would stiffer antiroll bars recommend getting stiffer damping curves as well, or would the range of adjustment easily handle the transients of stiffer antiroll bars?

Would I be better off with KW V3? Knowing I want stock height or even slightly higher, this seems not as good an option, but the double adjustability might be useful, especially if I want to change spring rates if the first one doesn't work out.

I'm thinking that something like the Ohlins RT off the shelf would be too stiff on spring rate and too stiff on damping, so I'd pay with a brutal ride and maybe even skipping over the bigger bumps, all to get grip on the track I won't ever visit.

Thoughts?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote