Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
But that’s still both: it reduces time spent at both the hot and cold extremes and keeps the operating temp nearer the engineered target/range for a longer period of time. It’s still a benefit to cooling — it’s not misnamed that badly.

Isn’t the takeaway here that the new one, ceteris paribus (and I recognize that’s a BIG assumption), should have fewer oil temp issues than the previous gen? I’m acknowledging issues like oil starvation popped plenty of FA20 motors too, but 15 minutes in the FI forum or a couple old Savagegeese vids sure show a lot of temp issues with the 1st gen car and this seems like a design aimed at least partially towards mitigating that.
I agree that my coolant-to-oil sandwich does help cooling to some degree hence the "meh". At the very least it offers a large volume media (coolant) and a larger surface area (radiator) to dump heat but the coolant is also experience heat gains from the engine as well so it's not going to be (usually) as effective as a dedicated air-to-oil cooler.

I am agreeing with you that the new one should have slightly better cooling - I was more directing the comments to everyone thinking that this new one "failed" at addressing the oil temps. That is categorically incorrect - we got a coolant-to-oil heat exchange going. That will shave off the peaks at the very least.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-27-2021), stilesg57 (08-27-2021)