Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Also, the reason I ask this is because elsewhere I read about this code, its always said that codes that turn your ABS light on do not clear with a normal scanner, seems to be the case for most other cars from a quick googling around. Also usually when I clear a code, even those that are still there, the code gets cleared, then it reappears again either after a few seconds, after a few miles of driving around or on next turn cycle. When I clear the codes for this one, it does not go away even for a second, light is solidly on, code still reading.
The code you can pull from an OBD II reader is a code in the engine module saying there is a code in the ABS module. You can not read the actual ABS fault with a normal generic scanner. Same with transmission, SCR and a handful of other modules.

With a more robust scanner you can read the actual ABS module and get the codes you actually need. That's why the engine code is so generic, it doesn't indicate any specific fault, just that there is a fault in the ABS system.

Oddly enough, there is usually an OBD II partition even in the engine module. You cna have a code on a real scanner and nothing on a generic scanner, or a CEL on, no codes at all on the $40k+ scanner, $20 walmart scanner pulls it right up.

Emissions is a funny game.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (04-16-2019)