Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Safest way to install LED turn signals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95459)

Wil 09-28-2015 07:51 AM

Safest way to install LED turn signals
 
Hello everyone,
I've been looking for a couple of weeks to swap the regular turning lights bulbs to LED.
I've browsed eBay and found a lot of offers on the subject.
-Some cheapos from China
-Some quality ones from the US
-Some that come with load resistors
-Tail as Turn style devices

There seems to be many many ways to install LED in a GT86 but I read not all of them are safe.
For example, adding load resistors (6ohm 50W) is risky since they can get really really hot and melt the rear lights or even set fire to the booth.
Not adding anything make the LED hyperblink.

Does adding a Flasher is recommended if you only install LED on the rear lights (or rear and front but not side markers ?).

Plus can you tell me if front turn signal bulbs are 7440 or 7443 on a GT86 ?
Owner's manual indicated WY21W for both.

So, to you, what is the safest way to install LED turning lights in a GT86 ?

Thank you.
Have a nice day.

stevesnj 09-28-2015 12:33 PM

Hope this helps, I installed the bulbs around a month ago. You will need an LED electronic flasher.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=129

Flasher

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C9YS0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o03_s00"]Amazon.com: 8-Pin 81980-50030 066500-4650 Electronic LED Flasher Assy Relay Fix For Lexus Scion or Toyota LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs: Automotive[/ame]

go_a_way1 09-28-2015 12:39 PM

Just buy a new flasher for LED's. If you were local I would give you my extra one. I have be running LED's for over 2 years with 0 issues.

Stang70Fastback 09-28-2015 03:03 PM

The short answer is: All you need are the bulbs and the electronic flasher module listed on this page. I bought the XP80s, and I wouldn't recommend anything less as it will not be bright enough.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...pplication=210

Wil 09-30-2015 06:19 AM

Thank you all for your answers !
But should I use a flasher if I only put LED for the rear turn signals ?
Won't it affect the blinking speed of the halogen bulbs ?

LED86 09-30-2015 07:03 AM

You will need an LED relay as soon as you change any of the indicator bulbs (front/rear/sides). Once an LED bulb is installed in any of the indicators the system thinks a bulb is blown and all will flash rapidly to make the driver aware a bulb is out. The LED relay will correct it back to normal.

The regular LED relays you see around do the job fine but have a delay on the first flash. Valenti relays don't have this and also have euro tap feature (tap stalk to make the indicators flash 3x for lane merging) and the tap turn guys in the USA have a similar relay with even more extra features.

stevesnj 09-30-2015 01:17 PM

In case you're looking for the front switchbacks I found the link. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...862156145.html

If you're willing to wait a week or 2 they work amazing!

Wil 09-30-2015 04:51 PM

Thanks you for the awesome support!
I'm not that much into switchback but thank you for the proposition.

Is the Valenti flasher the only unit that avoids the one second delay ?
Because that's the kind of thing that could annoy me but paying 6 times the price of a regular flasher is something.

johnbradshow 10-09-2015 08:36 PM

It is very hard to find the correct flasher module since there are too many different ones.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.