Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to achieve nice exhaust note in cabin? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93220)

ajcarson11 08-12-2015 01:10 PM

How to achieve nice exhaust note in cabin?
 
Hello all--

After deleting the sound tube I have noticed a lack of exhaust/engine noise in the cabin. I'd like to modify/add to my exhaust setup in order to gain back some of the noise lost to the sound tube (which sounds very artificial IMO). I would like to do this without making things overly loud outside the car. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how I can achieve this? I'd like to get a similar volume level to the sound tube (maybe more?), while avoiding drone for highway cruising. I'm interested in my own driving pleasure, and am not out to please/terrify neighbors or others on the street.

I've currently got the Gruppes/Tomei UEL header installed with the stock OP/FP/Catback. I've also sound-deadened the entire car, including trunk (which I understand will help with catback drone).

Thanks all! :popcorn:

continuecrushing 08-12-2015 01:42 PM

buy an op, fp or catback?

Koa 08-12-2015 01:43 PM

catback for sure- don't waste time with an OP/FP if N/A.

mild exhaust setups are aplenty, along with their reviews :)

ajcarson11 08-12-2015 01:44 PM

Thanks -- What sort of ratio would you say adding on an OP, FP, or CB creates inside/outside the car? If I double the volume on the outside, will I notice it in the cabin? or?

I suppose what I really need to do is find some GT86 owners in my area and demo these things myself.

ajcarson11 08-12-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koa (Post 2354905)
catback for sure- don't waste time with an OP/FP if N/A.

mild exhaust setups are aplenty, along with their reviews :)

Agreed -- And i've done research. I'm concerned about going with something like a Perrin 2.5 (which sounds like it would sound great outside the car) as I don't want to end up with something I can't enjoy on the inside. Reviews on the Perrin 2.5 resonated and Q300 suggest a great mild outside tone, but with little additional tone inside the cabin.

At the same time, I know louder catbacks can be heard inside the car, but with very loud results outside.

Koa 08-12-2015 01:48 PM

remember that you have a header up front- the muffling is very much at the backend of the car now. Try and find a friend or member on here around you with a similar setup is my only suggestion, as videos don't translate well- especially inside the cabin!

the FP cat is a minimal contributor in terms of noise reduction.

cdrazic93 08-12-2015 02:02 PM

omg Koa is alive

Shady195 08-12-2015 02:46 PM

Route the exhaust into the trunk space

wbradley 08-12-2015 02:56 PM

Play a recording of a Ferrari Enzo with the volume at 50%.

Seriously., do your research and lose the stock cat back.

JD001 08-12-2015 03:31 PM

I found the standard sound rather flat and dull, changed to the following looking for the flat four burble with some character through the rev range ...Tomei Expreme UnEqual Length Exhaust Manifold, Milltek overpipe and Berk front pipe with high flow cat. The remainder is stock UK spec exhaust. The sound is great, got the flat four burble but it's very quiet when cruising.

shifter907 08-12-2015 04:04 PM

I have a catless Ark front pipe with Helmholtz resonator. Kills a lot of the drone while adding a tiny bit of noise.

STV3 08-12-2015 04:13 PM

A set up similar to this should give you a decent in cabin exhaust note...

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace...1_interior.jpg

Turdinator 08-12-2015 07:46 PM

OP, if you want the car to stay relatively quiet maybe an intake will suit you better. Or even just a high flow filter, silicon tube and removing the rest of the resonators. During cruise the car will be quiet as stock but under acceleration the induction noise will be louder and more noticeable.

Tcoat 08-12-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 2355021)
Play a recording of a Ferrari Enzo with the volume at 50%.

Seriously., do your research and lose the stock cat back.

http://www.vroombox.com/vroombox/pol...ate-system.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.