Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OEM 4th Brake Light. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84341)

Simok 03-12-2015 02:49 PM

OEM 4th Brake Light.
 
I have only seen a few kits out there, and some DIYS. I was just wondering which the best kit on the market is. Also if someone has made one that functions the same as the stock tailights, ie: Lights are on it acts as a tail light, brakes pressed lights up brighter as a brake light, lights off, just a normal brake light. If there is not one of these out there how hard would it be to DIY one?

I don't have much experience with auto electrical. I can read wiring diagrams and schematics. I'm not even sure what the connector for the tail light looks like (Have to check when I get home). My thought was just get another tail light bulb socket and some long wires and connect them together, how ever I feel like if it was that easy someone would have done it already. Any thoughts or input would be nice.

Husker BRZ 03-12-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simok (Post 2166337)
I have only seen a few kits out there, and some DIYS. I was just wondering which the best kit on the market is. Also if someone has made one that functions the same as the stock tailights, ie: Lights are on it acts as a tail light, brakes pressed lights up brighter as a brake light, lights off, just a normal brake light. If there is not one of these out there how hard would it be to DIY one?

http://www.phasteksport.com/2013-Sci...z-rear-fog.htm

This is the kit that I bought when I did mine, it does exactly what you describe you want it to. I've had it installed over a year now and no problems.

The main reason I went with a kit was because I've never really done much with wiring and lighting on a car so I was afraid of screwing something up on my brand new car lol. But the install over all is pretty easy. The hardest part for me was getting the light housing out and drilling the hole for the light socket.

Here's another one as well:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Scion-FR-S-...Y-p/75-224.htm

WhiteFRS69 03-12-2015 06:45 PM

i too went with the same kit @Husker BRZ mentioned

very straight forward install, took me about 30 minutes, hardest part IMO was cutting the hole into the rear fog light, i was just worried i would make the hole bigger than the bulb itself

other than that. its straight forward

Simok 03-12-2015 09:07 PM

Oh cool I was actually just looking at that kit. I might have to go with that. No complaints? Install advice?

Gunman 03-12-2015 09:13 PM

I went 100% DIY, might have $30 invested, but in retrospect I could have redesigned a bit, and saved a few bucks. Light works as a parking light, and when brakes are applied it changes to a blinking stop lamp.

ZOMFGAARON 03-12-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman (Post 2166853)
I went 100% DIY, might have $30 invested, but in retrospect I could have redesigned a bit, and saved a few bucks. Light works as a parking light, and when brakes are applied it changes to a blinking stop lamp.


How'd you get it to blink when pressing the brake I've been wanting to do that to my aftermarket replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunman 03-12-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON (Post 2166865)
How'd you get it to blink when pressing the brake I've been wanting to do that to my aftermarket replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn signal flasher. I also used a relay to cut the parking light off when the brake is applied, so the flasher stands out more.

AzureShadow 03-12-2015 09:43 PM

I am really looking for something that works with the OEM light as a fog normally, but when the brake is applied it does kind of the F1 triple flash then solid bright.

Haven't quite found anything yet. I may end up just making something.

soundman98 03-14-2015 07:27 PM

i'm going for a little more complex method...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7649/...8e808023_b.jpg

KayC 03-15-2015 05:32 AM

Got the nsidius industries kit. 100% plug and play for the wiring. No splicing required


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.