Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   FRS HID problem "surprise right?" (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82181)

FRSPhil 02-10-2015 06:56 AM

FRS HID problem "surprise right?"
 
Just recently got a 2013 FRS used but only 14k miles. First time driving late at night I flipped on what I thought was my dims, but after getting flashed my numerous cars I decided to investigate what it was they were getting upset for. Discovered that my dims are actually my brights. So I tried flipping my my brights on to discover that it was actually my dims that would turn on for my brights. So everything is ass backwards. Did a little research and a little guide said switching the polarity would fix it. Big surprise that didn't even work instead my dims wouldn't even work when I done that. Guess I can speak for some people when I say switching the polarity is too good to be true. I've never really even messed with HID till I got the FRS. So anyone with great expertise and knowledge that could recommend a fix or replacement would be greatly appreciated. Haven't had time to really look at the name brand kit or bulbs currently in it. When available I'll take a closer look into it. Thanks!

8R6 02-10-2015 12:24 PM

hows that even possible with an HID kit? aftermarket HID kits for our cars (non-bixenon) is essentially just a headlight bulb swap. Our highbeams are the same as our DRL halogens and is a separate bulb from the lowbeams...

FRSPhil 02-10-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRGT86 (Post 2126486)
hows that even possible with an HID kit? aftermarket HID kits for our cars (non-bixenon) is essentially just a headlight bulb swap. Our highbeams are the same as our DRL halogens and is a separate bulb from the lowbeams...

Not exactly 100% sure what the previous owner did. Me being new to this assumed that my headlights (HID) are always really bright. Wish I knew how to explain it better but I'm really a novice to this.

kbye 02-10-2015 05:53 PM

To clarify, when you turn on your low-beams, which part of the headlight lights up? The outside projector or the inner bulb? If it's the inner one, you got some wiring issues.

jeffwilliams 02-10-2015 06:00 PM

Your low beams are the outside projector lense. The inner light in the reflector housing is drl/high beam. Have a look at the stalk for the lights, if it is pushed forward the high beams will stay on. Try pulling it back and see if the high beams go off.

FRSPhil 02-10-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbye (Post 2127056)
To clarify, when you turn on your low-beams, which part of the headlight lights up? The outside projector or the inner bulb? If it's the inner one, you got some wiring issues.

When I turn on low the inner bulbs come on and when I hit the high beams on the outer turn on

FRSPhil 02-10-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffwilliams (Post 2127072)
Your low beams are the outside projector lense. The inner light in the reflector housing is drl/high beam. Have a look at the stalk for the lights, if it is pushed forward the high beams will stay on. Try pulling it back and see if the high beams go off.

I'll have to give it a try once I get home. Greatly appreciate it.

KI_ZN6 02-10-2015 10:14 PM

On the FR-S, the projector lens are the low beam driving lights. The inner bulb is for the daytime running lights and high beams.

It is possible to have the low beam and high beams on all together if you have the turn signal stalk pushed towards the dashboard, activating the constant high beam "on" mode. Should be a relatively simple fix :D

FRSPhil 02-11-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KI_ZN6 (Post 2127491)
On the FR-S, the projector lens are the low beam driving lights. The inner bulb is for the daytime running lights and high beams.

It is possible to have the low beam and high beams on all together if you have the turn signal stalk pushed towards the dashboard, activating the constant high beam "on" mode. Should be a relatively simple fix :D

Only conclusion I've come to so far is previous owner didn't know how to do wiring. I've done every single combination with the wiring and still no fix. Think it would be safe for me to say that I'll just replace the bulbs and wiring myself and save myself the heartache.

kbye 02-11-2015 11:13 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner connected the HID kit into the low beam wiring but plugged the HIDs into the hi-beam location. If that's the case, then as long as you buy the correct bulb sizes and swap them around then it should be an easy fix. You will need H11 HID for lo-beam and HB3 for DRL/hi-beam.

aznatama 02-11-2015 11:17 AM

My thoughts...

HID were wired to trigger off the high beam signal, not the low beam signal. This means nothing other than which signal turns on your HIDs. Just need to switch the signal wire to the correct one, this is probably on the adapter harness.

As for the beams blinding other people, you most likely just need to adjust your headlights downward via the adjustment screws. previous owner probably adjusted them up like a moron.

FRSPhil 02-11-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznatama (Post 2128040)
My thoughts...

HID were wired to trigger off the high beam signal, not the low beam signal. This means nothing other than which signal turns on your HIDs. Just need to switch the signal wire to the correct one, this is probably on the adapter harness.

As for the beams blinding other people, you most likely just need to adjust your headlights downward via the adjustment screws. previous owner probably adjusted them up like a moron.

I figured since their screw up that making the beams upward would solve it. Thanks for the reply.

FRSPhil 02-11-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbye (Post 2128034)
The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner connected the HID kit into the low beam wiring but plugged the HIDs into the hi-beam location. If that's the case, then as long as you buy the correct bulb sizes and swap them around then it should be an easy fix. You will need H11 HID for lo-beam and HB3 for DRL/hi-beam.

Do I need to specifically get these bulbs from a dealer or will a local shop have them?

kbye 02-11-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSPhil (Post 2128051)
Do I need to specifically get these bulbs from a dealer or will a local shop have them?

You can buy the normal bulbs at any parts store.
Do you have pics or diagram of the wiring? It might be easier to help you that way. For example, since you mentioned the low-beam HIDs are in the hi-beam location, it could have meant that he bought an HB3 (9005) HID kit and modified the ballast harness to connect to the H11 connectors. OR, he could have also bought an H11 HID kit and spliced in an HB3 bulb. Or my theories could be completely off, lol.

Best bet is to tear the HID kit out and utilize the stock wiring with normal bulbs in its proper locations. Then you can look at properly retrofitting HIDs later down the road. Good luck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.