Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Are sway bars good for street daily driving? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72671)

trinxified 08-21-2014 07:14 PM

Are sway bars good for street daily driving?
 
I'm looking to get front and rear sway bars... How much difference will they be for street daily driving?

Are they a good buy for street use only?

Sleepless 08-21-2014 07:20 PM

Last thing these cars need is sway bars...

I don't like them on the streets; prefer stiffer springs.

dem00n 08-21-2014 07:26 PM

I'm on the fence about them.

I always believed sway bars are a last tier modification, only do them on cars that truly need a handling improvement or if you've done everything you can already.

Just my view on em....

Edit: I rembebr sway bars on a BMW 2002, that was a massive improvment in handling. The 2002 were good handling cars in the first place, but always suffered a big amount of body roll.

themajesticone 08-21-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinxified (Post 1911110)
I'm looking to get front and rear sway bars... How much difference will they be for street daily driving?

Are they a good buy for street use only?

If anything a front strut may be the only 'close-to-functional' piece out of the two, but realistically it won't do much at all. Do you plan on driving everywhere in the street like you are at the track or auto-cross?

Gunman 08-21-2014 07:58 PM

I put adjustable ones on mine, and I can tell the difference, and I only drive on the street. ARB's should be a tuning device, and even as a non-driver (I design race cars, I don't drive them), I could tell when I installed them, that the rear was too loose, and the front bar needed to be adjusted.

That said, you also feel every single side bump more, since the ARB is increasing the spring rate on that side, so the ride gets rougher. Along with the springs, the ride got rougher, but not unbearable.

Createddeleted 08-21-2014 08:18 PM

I loved mine. The car felt much safer on the road. IMHO. (On stock springs)

Sold them as I'm just going to install coilovers. Didn't feel like I needed both.

CSG David 08-21-2014 08:22 PM

Stay stock. Swaybars are used for fine tuning. You can gain a lot with proper coilover or shock/spring setup.

wbradley 08-21-2014 08:30 PM

With such a low COG I thought body roll wasn't an issue, especially for the street. Stiffer sway bars and or adjustable/ end links might be a waste of $ compared to other more impactful mods at this level.

If anything I'd go with Koni or Bilstein sleeves.

brzaapi 08-22-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 1911209)
Stay stock. Swaybars are used for fine tuning. You can gain a lot with proper coilover or shock/spring setup.


What coilovers are you running on the CSG BRZ/FRS?

tahdizzle 08-22-2014 10:58 AM

I agree with the majority. I purchased swaybars, but for autoX. The stock suspension is more than adequate for street use.

CSG David 08-22-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brzaapi (Post 1911757)
What coilovers are you running on the CSG BRZ/FRS?

TEIN SRC - CSG Custom Prototype valving spec

In between revalving and reworking the internals on the SRCs, we're on stock shocks with Swift Spec-R springs + Raceseng CasCam plates. I recommend running a Bilstein or Koni with this spring as the spring rates are hitting the absolute limit of the stock damping curve.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.