Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   WMI kits (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55600)

Victor Draken 01-13-2014 06:01 AM

WMI kits
 
How many of you have tried it on the twins?
Is it reliable or it's tossing a coin for a DD car?

mike the snake 01-13-2014 09:24 AM

I'll know hopefully this week. Car's getting tuned this week with FB turbo and WMI. Interested to see what numbers it produces.

The Aquamist WMI system is very cool, it has it's own gauge that tells you about any failures and low tank levels.

King Tut 01-13-2014 10:05 AM

I believe that @sw20kosh is the only one I know of that has run a WMI setup for awhile, and I believe he removed it due to some issues. I would not run one on a daily driver setup. It just isn't worth the extra horsepower it can produce.

sw20kosh 01-13-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Draken (Post 1449393)
How many of you have tried it on the twins?
Is it reliable or it's tossing a coin for a DD car?

I've tried it out. In my opinion it isn't worth it. You are adding on complexity with a FI kit. Then you are adding on more complexity with WMI. It's another point of failure. There are ways to mitigate that failure but they require more complexity in the form of failsafe systems.

Additionally, I had to fill the tank (3 gal) up after every 25 min lapping session at the track. I did it for two track days and got sick of having to do that. Takes away from the fun of the day.

That being said, if you get a high quality system that has good failsafes and if you just use it on the street (won't run out of fluid so fast) it can be do-able.

RAN94A 01-13-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 1450102)
I've tried it out. In my opinion it isn't worth it. You are adding on complexity with a FI kit. Then you are adding on more complexity with WMI. It's another point of failure. There are ways to mitigate that failure but they require more complexity in the form of failsafe systems.

Additionally, I had to fill the tank (3 gal) up after every 25 min lapping session at the track. I did it for two track days and got sick of having to do that. Takes away from the fun of the day.

That being said, if you get a high quality system that has good failsafes and if you just use it on the street (won't run out of fluid so fast) it can be do-able.

Complexity wise if you buy a good quality kit with built in checks then you pretty much set and forget with the exception of topping it up.

this would be no different to running e85 and having to refill the car 2-3 times as well as the added point of failure of an eflex sensor... which is considered to be readily acceptable.

why not get a 5 gallon tank for the WMI kit if you planned to track it?

sw20kosh 01-13-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAN94A (Post 1450756)
Complexity wise if you buy a good quality kit with built in checks then you pretty much set and forget with the exception of topping it up.

this would be no different to running e85 and having to refill the car 2-3 times as well as the added point of failure of an eflex sensor... which is considered to be readily acceptable.

why not get a 5 gallon tank for the WMI kit if you planned to track it?

I don't run E85 flex fuel. Yes that is more complexity. I would argue it is safer/more consistent tuning-wise as you are not relying on a seperate WMI pump, lines, wiring, control module, fail safe, how determine when to spray and how much to spray etc. All you are relying on is the flex sensor and the ecu calibration to be working in harmony.

Filling it up after every 2 sessions isn't all the better than filling it up after every session... To me, at least.

If you go by that logic then why not go with a 10 gal or 20 gal reservoir? You reach a point of diminishing returns where you are making it more "convenient" but reducing cargo space and adding on more weight when you should be reducing weight.

bulldog11267mad 01-13-2014 06:42 PM

i have a aquamist that i will be installing shortly


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.