Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   MTECH Ind. Shift Knob Review (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44729)

Wes 08-19-2013 09:04 PM

MTECH Ind. Shift Knob Review
 
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a MTEC Industries Drift Shift Knob.
Story:
After looking through the shift knob thread, I didn't really like the way that 97% the shift knobs looked and been looking for something that looked nice and functional. Originally I wanted a Titanium Sphere knob since that was the only thing that ever caught my attention but dang is that thing expensive. I also really liked the AMS delrin knob that the Evo X had. I stumbled across from this shift knob when Ken Gushi posted a picture of it on IG and I was sold. I contacted MTEC Industries from there and now here I am with one..

Review:
The MTEC shift knob has a machined finish to it, and it feels nice and solid. It's made of delrin, so it won't get hot and burn your hand or freeze. I was kind of surprised that the stock knob actually weighed heavier than the MTEC Ind. knob. Once I put it on, I didn't even think about the weight of it anymore. Driving feels pretty dang good, every shift is smoother, more crisp, and precise. Under spirited driving it is very good, you can shift pretty dam quick whether its up/down shifting. I like the fact that its closer to the steering wheel as well. I always thought it was hard to downshift from 3rd to 2nd with the stock knob, but the MTEC shift knob gets you there quite easily. Definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys spirited drives. Found out that these can be picked up from Ft86speedfactory now too :thumbsup:

Now, finally here are the pictures.. :happy0180:
MTEC vs Stock knob
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...psbfa2f9be.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...ps68c962dd.jpg

itsibarra 08-19-2013 09:16 PM

Saw this on gush's IG and at 86fest.. Looks good :thumbsup:

cdo221 08-25-2013 11:10 PM

Thanks for the review, this seems exactly like something I've been looking for. Where did you buy yours and for what price? I saw it on FT86 speed factory but I'm just shopping around to see the best deal.

448hpsti 08-25-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdo221 (Post 1166469)
Thanks for the review, this seems exactly like something I've been looking for. Where did you buy yours and for what price? I saw it on FT86 speed factory but I'm just shopping around to see the best deal.

ditto, functional, good call!

Wes 08-25-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsibarra (Post 1152447)
Saw this on gush's IG and at 86fest.. Looks good :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdo221 (Post 1166469)
Thanks for the review, this seems exactly like something I've been looking for. Where did you buy yours and for what price? I saw it on FT86 speed factory but I'm just shopping around to see the best deal.

PM'ed :thumbsup:

FT-86 SpeedFactory 08-26-2013 08:01 PM

Have this in our race car and we love it. Plus we keep them in stock. :)

Hanakuso 08-26-2013 08:11 PM

These look similar to MTEC (Mugen) shift knobs that have been around for a long time. They even copied the company name lol

Wes 09-14-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanakuso (Post 1168838)
These look similar to MTEC (Mugen) shift knobs that have been around for a long time. They even copied the company name lol

I just looked up what you were talking about, they do look similar lol. I'm confused what do you mean by they copied company name because aren't those just Mugen shift knobs? Unless MTEC means Mugen?

Gixxersixxerman 09-14-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 1152426)
Driving feels pretty dang good, every shift is smoother, more crisp, and precise. Under spirited driving it is very good, you can shift pretty dam quick whether its up/down shifting. I like the fact that its closer to the steering wheel as well. I always thought it was hard to downshift from 3rd to 2nd with the stock knob, but the MTEC shift knob gets you there quite easily.

It might all be true, but for some reason when I read this, I think if the reviews of someone spending 400$ on a intake got 5hp at the most but swear in the butt dyno that it changed the whole car.. All my cars and different shift knobs, a nice weighted one helped maybe a little bit, but the only thing I've ever had that made the shift more smooth and crisp has been a real shifter, not the knob.. But hey I don't own a MT, so these might be different.. I know the shift springs that speed factory were selling made a huge difference over stock

Wes 09-14-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman (Post 1212308)
It might all be true, but for some reason when I read this, I think if the reviews of someone spending 400$ on a intake got 5hp at the most but swear in the butt dyno that it changed the whole car.. All my cars and different shift knobs, a nice weighted one helped maybe a little bit, but the only thing I've ever had that made the shift more smooth and crisp has been a real shifter, not the knob.. But hey I don't own a MT, so these might be different.. I know the shift springs that speed factory were selling made a huge difference over stock

Yeah I know what you mean, it could just be a placebo effect. I do want to try out the shift springs though, seems like it would make a difference. One thing for sure though, this knob is good when you're just trying to shift fast.

Gixxersixxerman 09-14-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 1212407)
Yeah I know what you mean, it could just be a placebo effect. I do want to try out the shift springs though, seems like it would make a difference. One thing for sure though, this knob is good when you're just trying to shift fast.

Springs I promise will NOT be a placebo effect at all.. They do make a difference.. If I had a MT it would be one of the first things I do..

Wes 09-14-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman (Post 1212420)
Springs I promise will NOT be a placebo effect at all.. They do make a difference.. If I had a MT it would be one of the first things I do..

Yeah that or it should've been done from factory, since I did have some issues going from 5th to 4th as it feels like it gets caught. I'm pretty used to it now so it isn't a big deal anymore.

FT-86 SpeedFactory 09-14-2013 08:22 PM

The shift springs definitely rock. We have tons of people try our car at the 86 Expo and 86Fest and everyone loved it vs the stock set up. It's hard to believe until you do it. Best cheap mod out there. :-)

DriftEightSix 09-16-2013 07:55 AM

what are these shift springs?!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.