Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   stock BR-Z, much detonation during shifts: tune? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42183)

elefunkd 07-20-2013 05:55 PM

stock BR-Z, much detonation during shifts: tune?

I only have 2000km on my completely stock BR-Z. Since new, I noticed a brief moment of detonation while completing a gear-change.
This happens as the clutch is engaged and throttle re-applied, just as the engine is loaded again.
It happens when making quick gear-changes and semi-aggressive driving, while shifting just after the first torque peak, around 4k/rpm.

Do any/all of the available tunes address this issue? It is driving me nuts.
I now religously use sunoco 94 fuel which has not helped this issue.

Thanks!

-Thomas

suaveflooder 07-20-2013 06:53 PM

You, good sir, need to get into the dealer ASAP and get your direct injectors checked. Keep out of hight RPM and avoid shifting quickly. Don't mean to scare you, but it could be somewhat serious. You catch it before serious damage is done, you will be golden :thumbsup:

elefunkd 07-20-2013 08:01 PM

Woah... sounds serious. I will make an appointment asap.
Has anyone else experienced something to that effect?

RehabJeff86 07-20-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elefunkd (Post 1084850)

Search DI Failure and you will find plenty threads regarding this emergin issue :happy0180:

suaveflooder 07-20-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elefunkd (Post 1084850)

Welcome to the forums! Crappy way to come in, but thankfully, you will find a lot of useful information :thumbup:

Lonewolf 07-20-2013 10:46 PM

OP-

Not saying it's this issue, but it's worth informing yourself about what your symptoms could be:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36129

ft_sjo 07-21-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elefunkd (Post 1084651)
I only have 2000km on my completely stock BR-Z. Since new, I noticed a brief moment of detonation while completing a gear-change.
This happens as the clutch is engaged and throttle re-applied, just as the engine is loaded again.
It happens when making quick gear-changes and semi-aggressive driving, while shifting just after the first torque peak, around 4k/rpm.

Do any/all of the available tunes address this issue? It is driving me nuts.
I now religously use sunoco 94 fuel which has not helped this issue.

Thanks!

-Thomas

They all do it. The 'di failure' paranoia threads is dealt with by an updated calibration, however that won't resolve the 4k RPM tip-in det you're talking about. Most of the doom mongers won't know the difference though and will mislead you.

I wouldn't worry about it. Try not slipping the clutch during shifts.

suaveflooder 07-21-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft_sjo (Post 1085357)
They all do it. The 'di failure' paranoia threads is dealt with by an updated calibration, however that won't resolve the 4k RPM tip-in det you're talking about. Most of the doom mongers won't know the difference though and will mislead you.

I wouldn't worry about it. Try not slipping the clutch during shifts.

Weird. My car doesn't detonate at high RPM's and shifting fast. I am hardly a "doom monger" as I don't drive the car enough in the manner needed to cause any sort of DI failure, so it is not a concern for me. But if the OP is truly getting detonation, that is NOT normal on any car.

jamesm 07-21-2013 08:08 AM

Detonation is not a normal condition in any engine. Ever. Unless its a diesel.

arghx7 07-21-2013 10:33 AM

How do you know it was knocking? Are you sure you're not just hearing driveline noise? Do you have ECUtek logs showing the knock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesm (Post 1085475)
Detonation is not a normal condition in any engine. Ever. Unless its a diesel.

I wouldn't say it's "desireable" condition, but it's certainly a normal one. Just about every modern engine runs on the edge of knock under certain conditions because that gives the best fuel economy. And knock isn't an all-or-nothing thing. There are degrees of severity.

elefunkd 07-21-2013 11:39 AM

I am 100% certain it is detonation, and under the aforementioned conditions, it is quite pronounced and unmistakable.

As I would like to flash the ecu soon, my dilemma is such: should I take it to the dealer before flashing the ecu? Or try a flash that has a modified Transient Ignition Retard Table, IF there is such a flash available.

And aside from detonation at the aforementioned conditions, I haven't heard it happening any other time.

elefunkd 07-21-2013 12:12 PM

So to clarify: when driving the car very aggressively (up-shiftin @ or near rev limit, there is no audible detonation.
Only when accelerating moderately and shifting quickly just past the first torque peak.

Not exactly certain at what rpm, but I will make a mental note to check next time I drive,
but certainly nowhere near rev limit, nor at WOT.

If there is a tune that addresses this issue, I will skip the dealer visit and deal with it by flashing the ecu with said tune, as this is something I would like to do in the near future.

Thanks for the responses!

-t

whitefrs 07-21-2013 12:18 PM

let the dealer check first..

it seems like its a DI issue and trust me you can blow your engine...

go to the dealer and tell them about it and ask them about the update ECU calibration

whitefrs 07-21-2013 12:18 PM

a tune will prevent this issue for cars that never had an issue before, but if you already have the issue, it wont help as ur DI might be damage already