Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Good Scan Tool for Troubleshooting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155803)

hotrod1442 03-20-2026 08:17 PM

Good Scan Tool for Troubleshooting
 
I'm trying to source a good Scan Tool for doing troubleshoot/diagnostic checks, I'd like something that allows me to see data "real time" to be able to better troubleshoot engine control/sensor issues. Up to this point I have a fairly extensive knowledge of pre computor controlled engines/vehicles,...... but I'm trying to get myself more versed in troubleshooting modern vehicle control systems.

Would like to keep the investment price under $1000 (if possible)

bmacfrs 03-20-2026 09:32 PM

You want a bidirectional scanner. Check on Xtool D9S. Amazon or ebay. Bunch of videos on YouTube.
https://www.xtoolglobal.com/products...stic-scan-tool


Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Spuds 03-25-2026 04:14 PM

You could try a basic OBD Bluetooth scanner. I've got an OBD Link that's has somewhat helped in the past, but there's definitely better actual tools if you are serious about it.

Muskoka800 03-26-2026 11:28 AM

Last year I bought a Gear Wrench scan tool from Amazon.ca.
I needed a two way scanner in order to monitor CVT fluid temps in our Crosstrek during a CVT fluid dump and fill.
It worked flawlessly. It’s just a dongle for the OBD port which connects via Bluetooth to their app on your device, in my case an iPhone. At only approx. 100CAD I couldn’t be happier.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.