Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   To reuse or not to reuse (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152974)

autoracer86 04-04-2023 11:59 AM

To reuse or not to reuse
 
After reading some not so great things about Motul gear300 in our transmission I decided to swap it out for AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube


When I put in the gear300 6 months ago I used brand new oem washers.... So should I buy new washer again or just send it ?

Thanks

Clipdat 04-04-2023 12:40 PM

Always use a new washer.

WNDSRFR 04-04-2023 12:46 PM

I know that the crush washer manufacturer's lobbyist group says to change the washer every time. But I don't. I did the first time out of an over abundance of caution. But I've reused the washers ever since. I've change the tranny and diff 3 times and the oil many, many times reusing the washers and never leaked a drop.
But Hey, it's your car.

autoracer86 04-04-2023 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNDSRFR (Post 3575491)
I know that the crush washer manufacturer's lobbyist group says to change the washer every time. But I don't. I did the first time out of an over abundance of caution. But I've reused the washers ever since. I've change the tranny and diff 3 times and the oil many, many times reusing the washers and never leaked a drop.
But Hey, it's your car.

Yeah..... that is kind of my thinking it doesn't help the OEM washers are like 16bucks each lol

Grady 04-04-2023 08:09 PM

O rings, crush washers it is good to replace every time. It is overkill lets face it worst thing that will happen is you will have an oil seep.

autoracer86 04-05-2023 10:27 AM

I ordered 2 new washers with my dealer today. I was not man enough to risk it lol

Griever423 04-07-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3575478)
After reading some not so great things about Motul gear300 in our transmission I decided to swap it out for AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube


When I put in the gear300 6 months ago I used brand new oem washers.... So should I buy new washer again or just send it ?

Thanks


This is the first I've read about Gear 300 not being good for our trans'. Do you have a link to that particular discussion?

autoracer86 04-07-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griever423 (Post 3576101)
This is the first I've read about Gear 300 not being good for our trans'. Do you have a link to that particular discussion?

I don't have any saved off hand. But the TLDR is gear 300 is a GL4/GL5 oil. Our boxes are rated for GL3 but will take a GL4. The thinking here is that whatever is in the oil to get the GL5 rating could cause harm to the brass synchro's. Some people went as far as to say the gear300 is not even a GL4 at all.

I found more than one posts about it... Most people seem to switch over to redline MT-90 and Amsoil which are both GL4 only fluid.

I am nervous enough about blowing 2nd gear on track that I don't need to worry that the oil I use might be causing issues as well.

RedReplicant 04-10-2023 03:58 PM

I've been happier on the MT90 over the Gear 300 anyway, it seems to shift better before everything is warmed up

autoracer86 04-11-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReplicant (Post 3576460)
I've been happier on the MT90 over the Gear 300 anyway, it seems to shift better before everything is warmed up

MT90 will be the next if the amsoil(which just arrived today) doesn't work out.

What are you running in the diff ?

RedReplicant 04-11-2023 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3576588)
MT90 will be the next if the amsoil(which just arrived today) doesn't work out.

What are you running in the diff ?

Curious to hear how you like the Amsoil, I've never run it before

It has an OSGiken in it but I've been running Motul Gear Competition 75W140 since it is on the approval list.

autoracer86 04-11-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReplicant (Post 3576590)
Curious to hear how you like the Amsoil, I've never run it before

It has an OSGiken in it but I've been running Motul Gear Competition 75W140 since it is on the approval list.

Ah okay. Thanks ��. I will make sure to post my impressions but as like as the gear box doesn't grind or blow up on track I will be happy lol

autoracer86 04-15-2023 10:38 AM

Just quick update... Really loving the Amsoil so far glad I switched. Check out the build thread if you want more details.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.