Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) — General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Brakes (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152955)

Rob2042 04-01-2023 11:43 AM

Brakes
 
Hi, new member here. Just picked up my 2023 BRZ and am really impressed with it. However, it seems to take quite a bit of pressure to brake. I'm comparing it to my Mazda MX-5 and my 370z I traded in. In fact, it seems to take the most pressure of any of the cars I've owned. Have any of you noticed the same and is there a way to improve the braking so as not to take so much pressure other than replacing the brakes? Thanks

vindiesel 04-01-2023 12:01 PM

No; swap pads

AK2112 04-01-2023 12:05 PM

Yeah they don't have the typical immediate grab that a lot of cars have. On winter tires especially, I have to get fairly deep into the pedal.

They do stop well on the street (have seen 60-0 tested at 104 feet) so I've just gotten used to it.

Rob2042 04-01-2023 12:06 PM

Thank you

OldBiker 04-01-2023 05:47 PM

Many newer cars have over-boosted brakes... grab instantly. I am not a fan of this, as it makes heel-toe blipping touchy at normal speeds. I am very glad the BRZ has proper brakes.

Up4speed 04-02-2023 01:44 AM

The brakes are better that way, this way they are easier to modulate.
As long as the power is there when pushed harder, I like it better. As OldBiker said, also easier to heel & toe.

OkieSnuffBox 04-02-2023 12:58 PM

Have you given them a good "break-in" cycle? Once I did that, like you would do with track brake pads, they felt much better.

When I ran Carbotech's, essentially 70-5 stops, constantly until the brakes smell and the pedal starts to get a bit soft. Let them cool completely, then ready to go.

CSG Mike 04-03-2023 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob2042 (Post 3575142)
Hi, new member here. Just picked up my 2023 BRZ and am really impressed with it. However, it seems to take quite a bit of pressure to brake. I'm comparing it to my Mazda MX-5 and my 370z I traded in. In fact, it seems to take the most pressure of any of the cars I've owned. Have any of you noticed the same and is there a way to improve the braking so as not to take so much pressure other than replacing the brakes? Thanks

There is not.

You can get bigger bite/response pads, a stiffer caliper setup, or both.

Easy to do, relatively speaking.

Rob2042 04-03-2023 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3575385)
There is not.

You can get bigger bite/response pads, a stiffer caliper setup, or both.

Easy to do, relatively speaking.

Thank you

Desertnate 04-04-2023 12:37 PM

Is it really the actual performance of the brakes or just a system which has less boost and allows longer pedal travel?

Swapping out pads, calipers, and rotors would change some of the characteristics, but wouldn't you need to replace the power brake pump and maybe the brake lines if you want to make a real difference in pedal travel and earlier bite?

DarkSunrise 04-04-2023 01:27 PM

The stock pads have poor initial bite, especially when cold. So you have to get fairly deep into the pedal travel before they grab. On the plus side, they are very progressive and easy to modulate even pushing hard on street tires.

I just changed to track pads and fluid, and they definitely bite harder and earlier in the pedal travel once bedded properly. But also a bit more difficult to modulate at the limit on street tires.

If I were you, for street use I’d swap to a pad that’s known for strong cold bite and bed them in well. Should give you that immediate response you want.

BioRebel 04-05-2023 09:04 AM

I found a "brake brace" helped to reduce pedal travel quite a bit with everything else being stock.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.