Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Engine Damage Pics Need Advice (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149694)

O Haiii 05-06-2022 03:46 PM

Engine Damage Pics Need Advice
 
Long story short, one of our daily drivers was run without any oil. Dealer sent over pictures, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what they show. Please let me know what damages you see. Dealer says cylinder wall pictured shows scoring, and the timing of the engine was completely thrown off. Dealer is giving us two options: 1. Access the variable timing "pins". If it's broken, replace and set it straight, and go from there hoping that nothing else is broken and the scoring cylinder wall doesnt pose other problems. 2. Replace engine completely.

What would be the best course of action? Please advise. Thank for any help.

https://i.imgur.com/KrG65qx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1Okq4qi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5NpDTaB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wn1bCZr.jpg

Ultramaroon 05-06-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O Haiii (Post 3521407)
What would be the best course of action? Please advise. Thank for any help.

User ban is appropriate in this case. Reported.

soundman98 05-06-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3521413)
User ban is appropriate in this case. Reported.

i'm not following

Ultramaroon 05-06-2022 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3521457)
i'm not following

Look at the date stamp on the bore scope display

soundman98 05-07-2022 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3521460)
Look at the date stamp on the bore scope display

Don't ever look through my Flickr account.

My borescope and thermal camera do the same thing. Damn battery hogs, I don't use them all the time, so I yank the batteries when not in use. I'm not made of AA's! And of course, it's a 20 minute process to reset the time/date. I usually only do it if there's a serious problem I need to document.

Like cylinder walls.

Same with my digital calipers

None of the OP's other posts read like spam...

soundman98 05-07-2022 01:13 AM

How many miles are on the motor?

Motors don't just jump timing for fun, I suspect it's a deeper problem. But I would also reset timing and hope for the best because if it's already FUBARed, a little extra effort for the cheap rout isn't going to make it any more dead.

Ultramaroon 05-07-2022 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3521489)
None of the OP's other posts read like spam...

I disagree but I'm ready to be wrong. :popcorn:


edit: Ok, I'm wrong. I apologize, O Haiii. Went back to read more of the earlier threads. I say fix timing and do a compression test to rule out bent valves. If it checks good, run it. If it doesn't start knocking with a bad rod bearing, you got lucky.

bcj 05-07-2022 02:03 AM

Don't think it's a boxer.
Some more details like ID numbers from the block, make and model would help to research similar engine failure modes.

WolfpackS2k 05-09-2022 11:43 AM

I'm not an mechanical expert (but also a novice) but how could running on low/no oil cause timing to jump?

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3521826)
I'm not an mechanical expert (but also a novice) but how could running on low/no oil cause timing to jump?

Hydraulic tensioner possibly :iono:

Ultramaroon 05-09-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3521845)
Hydraulic tensioner possibly :iono:

I was thinking the same but they all have ratchets. Maybe slipped with vibration. Already loose because high mileage/worn guides? :iono:

KillerBMotorsport 05-09-2022 01:15 PM

How many miles are on this engine?

I would expect bearing failure long before bore scoring on these engines.

As far as the timing chain jumping a tooth, you have no way of knowing that from the pics here. In theory a worn chain, guides and tensioner could do it, but you'd need a bazillion miles. The timing mark you're showing is the factory timing indicator for ignition. It's used at the factory, but otherwise is next to useless, you don't 'change' timing on these cars like you did back in the day with a distributor. These cars are modern and have a crank position sensor that feeds the ECU so it can determine optimal spart timing. There are also Cam position sensors. If any of these sensors detect something not as it should be, you throw a CEL.

Did you have an active Check Engine Light on the dash?

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2022 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3521847)
I was thinking the same but they all have ratchets. Maybe slipped with vibration. Already loose because high mileage/worn guides? :iono:


I was thinking that too but only thing that came to mind.

NoHaveMSG 05-09-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport (Post 3521855)
Did you have an active Check Engine Light on the dash?


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2cec302747.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.