Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thoughts after filled up with E85 for the first time (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129998)

stlgrym3 09-02-2018 12:25 PM

Thoughts after filled up with E85 for the first time
 
I finally passed the pumped gas portion of my tune revision. And now onto the ethanol. I filled up my tank yesterday with only 1/4 tank of 91 remained. I was told to take it easy first 10 miles or so, therefore, there aren’t any significant gain I’ve noticed, but the difference is definitely noticeable. I will get another data log tomorrow. I’m using delicious tuning’s ACE and Flex tune btw.

This morning when I turned on the car it vibrates a little more than before upon starting, and then back to normal. The same vibration is no longer there when I started the car up again after a 5 min drive to Starbucks. Was that the characteristic of ethanol?

Lantanafrs2 09-02-2018 12:29 PM

Give it time

majixmatrix 09-02-2018 03:57 PM

I just bought a used Delicious tuning Flex Fuel kit off the forums. I'll be switching to E85 on the stage 2 platform with JDL catless UEL headers, JDL ultra-quiet catted front/over pipe, MagnaFlow catback, and 3" Perrin intake.

Curious to see what your thoughts are!

stlgrym3 09-02-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majixmatrix (Post 3128861)
I just bought a used Delicious tuning Flex Fuel kit off the forums. I'll be switching to E85 on the stage 2 platform with JDL catless UEL headers, JDL ultra-quiet catted front/over pipe, MagnaFlow catback, and 3" Perrin intake.

Curious to see what your thoughts are!

I would get the Delicious Tuning custom tune for the JDL header and flex fuel kit.

Breadman 09-02-2018 04:09 PM

i have about 2k miles on the dt flex tune now and have ran anywere from a 50/50 93/flex to a tank reading 82% eth and never had that.

bfrank1972 09-02-2018 08:27 PM

Normal. Probably some misfiring when the engine is cold - E85 doesn't atomize as well as gas when it's cool out. You can tweak your tune to enrich cold start fuel mixture to help with it (like an old school choke, runs richer, idles a bit higher until the engine warms). Some people have problems starting the car altogether on stock cold start values depending on the temperature.

carsebuco 09-02-2018 09:26 PM

Also, if your tank was 1/4 full when you filled up and you've only driven a little over 10 miles since, there is a long way to go before the Saiyan power kicks in.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-02-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgrym3 (Post 3128816)
I finally passed the pumped gas portion of my tune revision. And now onto the ethanol. I filled up my tank yesterday with only 1/4 tank of 91 remained. I was told to take it easy first 10 miles or so, therefore, there aren’t any significant gain I’ve noticed, but the difference is definitely noticeable. I will get another data log tomorrow. I’m using delicious tuning’s ACE and Flex tune btw.

This morning when I turned on the car it vibrates a little more than before upon starting, and then back to normal. The same vibration is no longer there when I started the car up again after a 5 min drive to Starbucks. Was that the characteristic of ethanol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 3128920)
Normal. Probably some misfiring when the engine is cold - E85 doesn't atomize as well as gas when it's cool out. You can tweak your tune to enrich cold start fuel mixture to help with it (like an old school choke, runs richer, idles a bit higher until the engine warms). Some people have problems starting the car altogether on stock cold start values depending on the temperature.

Yep totally normally, I've managed to assuage it a lot by messing with my tune, there are some tweaks present on this forum you can make to assists with cold starts under 50 degrees and it did make a legitimate difference. You can all have it use DI only on cold starts which seems to help. Ask for a tune edit if possible


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.