![]() |
NRG Carbon Fiber Bucket seats install journey light weight
Just got my NRG Carbon Fiber seats in and installed today. RSC-310 Medium
I used VAC motorsports stationary mount on the driver side. Circuit Sports Sliding mount (like Buddy CLub) on the passenger (GOT REAL CHEAP) Nice seats Carbon fiber weave looks great but mainly bought these for weight Reduction. These aren't full carbon fiber to my disappointment, underneath the cushions you can see the fiberglass used for the shell, only the outer shell is carbon fiber. Similar to how a lot of the CF hoods are made that aren't dry carbon. Once installed they are plenty Sturdy. Only reviews I could see were from 10 years ago so I took a gamble on these but so far am impressed for the pair shipped with side mounts $800 Weights: NRG Seats 14lbs each x2 VAC motorsports mount with side aluminum legs = 8.25lbs Circuit sports mounts 8.75lbs Mounts that came with seats Heavy (NOT USED) = ~4.5lbs each Stock 17' Driver seat = 42.75 Stock 17' Passenger Seat = 38.75 TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS TODAY = 36.5lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Removing the Stock seats was FUCKING ridiculous. They upgraded from a torx bolt to a 12mm hex bolt and it was still stuck not moving and starting to strip No drilling, cutting or other methods others have used went straight to the torch!! https://i.imgur.com/2URIAQt.jpg Burned a little carpet but only 10 seconds of heat and the bolts turned easily. https://i.imgur.com/bvnLPeR.jpg Stripped bolt out https://i.imgur.com/HEVYWUE.jpg VAC mounts bolted up easy, many holes to choose from to get proper mount fairly easy https://i.imgur.com/YanTI8o.jpg Circuit Sports being sliding and more complex took some trials to get right. Only had to cut one part of side mount to fit over locking handle. I really didn't have to cut that much https://i.imgur.com/JFwcXea.jpg Finally got how I wanted https://i.imgur.com/8trOZ0P.jpg Weights: Buddy Club sliders and side mounts 8.75lbs https://i.imgur.com/bHgMAf1.jpg VAC motorsports mounts and ALuminum side mounts 8.25lbs https://i.imgur.com/M6eQa9Y.jpg NRG Bucket https://i.imgur.com/BgCd4V9.jpg STock Driver https://i.imgur.com/huAoC8X.jpg Stock passenger https://i.imgur.com/BrdDex7.jpg FINALLLLLY INSTALLED https://i.imgur.com/DzctIrq.jpg https://i.imgur.com/94zEyLq.jpg https://i.imgur.com/3I8ACfG.jpg https://i.imgur.com/P7hKkbB.jpg |
Nice! How’s the comfort of them?
|
Quote:
I also like each individual cushion is sealed with Velcro. Meaning I can open up each cushion and add in a little more foam or change out the foam to different densities. |
Definitely get back to us re: comfort after the work commute. Super interested to find out. Do they slide back and forth?
|
Quote:
Passenger side I used Buddy Club which slide front and back. Weight is the same for both the buddy club were a bit harder to install. |
Just an update on the comfort level. The stock seats during my commute my bottom tailbone area would get sore. That was not the case today.
-The center lower back area on the NRGs is somewhat hard. But I like it as my posture more upright compared to stock. Maybe why my tailbone isn't sore since my posture is better with these. I usually push that area towards my lower back on cars that have that adjustment. -The reviews from 10 years ago said these seats flex. They don't flex with me intentionally pushing back into them. Plus they were 12 or 13lbs, I got 14 lbs maybe they added in a 1lb of fiberglass to stiffen them. Im 5'9" 175 so maybe someone large could make them flex. -Much happier with the results than expected for $800 for the pair shipped! |
Nice, 36.5 lbs is a nice weight shave! how is the center of gravity, do you sit lower in the car?
|
Quote:
I did lower it a notch since that install pic. Im 5'9" So I don't like to sit too low and not be able to see over the dash. I think im going to keep the seat itself low but add a layer of memory foam on the butt cushion to raise me back up an inch |
Quote:
|
Quote:
The VAC fixed mounts will give you the ability to go lower as opposed to the buddy clubs, but you lose the sliding ability. No big deal if you are setting up the car for yourself |
What is the running total on how much you've decreased the weight from stock?
|
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Still have dry seibon Carbon doors to install. If the internet is right and the windowless stock doors weight 50lbs, I should lose another ~80lbs from the doors |
Nice setup. Is the backseat still usable by an adult? I know that when I access the back seats I usually have to slide the seat foward and fold down the seats.
|
$800 for two seats it's quite the bargain. How durable are they in the event you have an accident? From what I gather the cheaper seats don't hold up compared to the likes of Recaro and Sparco.
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.