Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Coolant Flow Direction? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128662)

HawaiianMike 07-02-2018 03:27 PM

Coolant Flow Direction?

Does anyone know for certain which direction does the coolant flow in our cars? Does the coolant come out of the top port of the radiator, or go into the top port of the radiator.

Ill check the temperature differences between the two to see which leaves the engine (but I'm at work and am thinking of pointless projects).

Thanks!

Icecreamtruk 07-02-2018 04:28 PM

Since the thermostat is in the lower hose side, I would imagine coolant goes into the rad there and out the top, no? Just guessing tho.

humfrz 07-02-2018 09:18 PM

Well, for years now, the coolant went into the top of the radiator and came out the bottom of the radiator on most gasoline engines .. why would this one be any different?

humfrz

Ultramaroon 07-02-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3105824)
why would this one be any different?

I can't think of a good reason. Maybe they were doing it wrong all that time.

humfrz 07-02-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3105866)
I can't think of a good reason. Maybe they were doing it wrong all that time.

Yep, it all started back-in-my-grandfathers day. When the Ford model T came out, it had a water pump .. then, they eliminated them because they kept leaking .. then some modders put them back on .. then Ford put them back on because cars were overheating in 4th of July parades.

NOW, that we have this "boxer" type engine, that sits flat, but it is still water cooled, whereas the older flat fours were air cooled. So, since a water pump is needed (or is it?), should the water be pushed (or pulled) from one side to another or from front to rear or rear to front? Further more, if we had a radiator on each side, could we just allow natural convection to move the water through the water jackets .. thus eliminating the water pump altogether which would get rid of the water pump pulley and not requiring the mod for a lightweight pulley.

:popcorn:

humfrz

Ultramaroon 07-03-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3105877)
could we just allow natural convection to move the water through the water jackets .. thus eliminating the water pump altogether which would get rid of the water pump pulley and not requiring the mod for a lightweight pulley.
:popcorn:

Before water-cooled two-stroke motocross engines were water-cooled head kits. They had no pump. Hot water in the top of the radiator and cold out the bottom.

They didn't work very well.

humfrz 07-03-2018 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3105901)
Before water-cooled two-stroke motocross engines were water-cooled head kits. They had no pump. Hot water in the top of the radiator and cold out the bottom.

They didn't work very well.

Maybe they needed a bigger radiator … :D

We had a 1941 Ford 2 ton truck back on the farm. You could fill it with hay or grain and run it in granny gear all day long on the hottest days and it would never overheat. Why not? Because it had a radiator that was about three feet wide and about four feet tall ….:thumbsup:

humfrz

Muskoka800 10-01-2022 12:03 PM

Coolant flow output hose?

So, did we determine coolant flow direction?.
I recall some muscle car engines boasted “reverse flow” back in the day.
I’m wanting to install an inline sensor for water temp so must confirm which hose carry’s the blocks coolant output.

Ultramaroon 10-01-2022 05:44 PM

Coolant always flows from the hot side of the thermostat through the valve plate.

^^^I'm leaving this here even though I was wrong.

Actually useful diagram

Grady 10-01-2022 05:59 PM

Why would you try to suck from the top were you can have air?

makinen 10-02-2022 06:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskoka800 (Post 3550073)
So, did we determine coolant flow direction?

Attachment 215781
Attachment 215782
Attachment 215783

JD001 10-02-2022 07:42 AM

i'm wondering if the flow differs if the car lives in northern or southern hemispheres?

Muskoka800 10-02-2022 11:02 AM

Thank You All!
I’ll be installing the sensor block into the lower (larger diameter) rad hose.

soundman98 10-02-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD001 (Post 3550176)
i'm wondering if the flow differs if the car lives in northern or southern hemispheres?

Better run and check all your neighbors toilets!

That was a good Simpsons episode