Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   225/45/17 or 235/45/17 For 8inch wheel (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126762)

BRRRZZZ 04-08-2018 11:25 PM

225/45/17 or 235/45/17 For 8inch wheel
 
Wondering which you guys would prefer on a 8 inch wheel. Looking at the firestone Indy 500.

Would you highly recommend against stretching the factory 215/45/17 on them?

FirstWinter 04-09-2018 01:39 AM

225/45/17. I would not advise 215/45 on an 8" wheel.

Mr.ac 04-09-2018 03:27 AM

The 235/45/17 would be a bit taller. It might throw your speedo off a bit. Go with a 235/40/17 if you want the 235's.
Or go with the 225/45/17. Which ever you want.

I do not recommend stretching out that 215 on 8" wheel. It looks super weak. Unless you love the hellaflush/stance look.

Tire choices, depends what you want out of them. Although I encourage anyone to avoid MPSS if you can't get them for under $130. Price vs performance compared to others it's not worth it.
I highly recommend you use the comparison tool for the price and performance on any tire.

TRAKRAVN 04-09-2018 05:17 AM

I use 215/45-17 RE71R’s on a 17x8 wheels. I haven’t had any issues over the years at the track. I have been through about 3 sets of tires on the same setup. The tire is rated for a 7-8” wheel so I don’t see the issue with it. Run the 215/45-17 save some money and enjoy the steering response.

yelsew 04-09-2018 08:01 AM

I know specifically the Indy 500 runs a little thin to begin with. The tread width on my 245/40r17 is a touch over 8" wide. You can see pictures of them mounted in my thread, link is in my sig. they are not pinched on my 17x8 wheels and sit fairly square. Unfortunately I do not believe the Indy 500 comes in 235/40 which I would have recommend, unless they have done size expansions recently. 225/45 my sit slightly stretched, but should keep the sidewalls stiffer and should drive pretty well, as long as the slight stretch doesn't bother you.

Jordanwolf 04-09-2018 11:25 AM

Not really sure about the recommendations against 215/45/17 on an 8 inch. They look absolutely fine, not stretched, and are a size documented to be under normal functionality.

Page 4 has an example of 215/45/17 on 8".

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=121927&page=4

Aluma007 04-09-2018 09:05 PM

BFG comps in 215/45 have 8.1 inch tread width according to tirerack...I'd like to see that on an 8in wheel...probably look just like a 225/45 indy 500 which is 7.7 inches in width.

DarkSunrise 04-09-2018 10:46 PM

I've used the following:

8"
- 215/45/17
- 225/45/17
- 235/40/17

9"
- 235/45/17

They're all fine. (215/45/17 on a 17x8 is actually within the recommended wheel width range, at least for the tire I was using). On the street I like 235/45/17 for the thicker sidewall, but it's a slight difference at best.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.