Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   What options do I have for removing this rust? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118390)

btan219 05-09-2017 09:45 AM

What options do I have for removing this rust?
 
http://imgur.com/a/iBPfO

Bought a used CPO 15' BRZ over the weekend. Noticed a rust spot above the passenger taillight and thought I could remove it myself so I negotiated the price down $500 of what they stated.

Now I'm not too sure if this is something I'd be able to fix myself for less than $500. I sanded down the area but there's more under the paint and I'm not too sure how to proceed from here. There's also a small sized dent (might be hard to see in the picture) around the rust area so maybe there's more rust under there. Or am I just SOL and have to pay to get the whole part replaced? Anyone know around how much that would cost?

humfrz 05-09-2017 01:28 PM

hmmmm.......that's in a tough place, however a good PDR person should be able to coax out the dent.

You might consider cleaning it up and then using some touch up paint.

After that, depending on how you feel about that scar ...... you might have to take it into a body shop and have it fixed proper.

That would most likely eat up your $500 ...... and then some.


humfrz

8RZ 05-09-2017 01:30 PM

Totaled.

Part out thread?

FR-Sky 05-09-2017 01:53 PM

wtf..touch up paint will works or...
put a big wing and no body will notice your rust.

ka-t_240 05-10-2017 09:48 PM

That is going to need actual body work and a respray to be repair properly. It will cost way more than 500.

afn704 05-17-2017 09:52 AM

These cars have anti-rust warranty. Bring it to the dealer.

Tcoat 05-17-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afn704 (Post 2911731)
These cars have anti-rust warranty. Bring it to the dealer.

Anti rust warranty does not apply when damage is involved. A dealer would laugh at anybody bringing that in and trying to claim warranty.

Lynxis 05-17-2017 01:17 PM

Yeah you didn't negotiate down near enough for that. I'd ballpark $1500-$2500 for that damage.

That is part of the rear quarter panel and is huge and a giant pain to replace so forget replacing the damaged part. Our cars have been totalled out for nothing other than major rear quarter panel damage.

First, you'll need to remove the light to work on that area. Then see if you can hammer the dent out from the inside. If not, then you gotta bondo the dent away. Next, you gotta sand the damaged area all the way down including the rust so it's all gone.

I'd do the above work myself, mostly because I can but if you can't, expect a shop to charge you $500 for just that. Then the damaged area will still need paint and getting that right has to be left to a professional and most will charge you from $1000 to $2000, depending on how involved painting it will be.

alan.chalkley 05-17-2017 10:19 PM

A good PDR guy can do an external glue pull on the dent.
Then primer,paint,clear coat it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.