Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STX Build (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103417)

kandiflippin 03-24-2016 12:02 PM

STX Build
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey, so I am new to the forums and figured the best way to start is to give an introduction of myself and show you all what I am working with. I'll start with my history. I am 24 and everything I know about cars is self taught from forums and youtube. I love working on cars and learning anything new but there is only so much you can learn without going out and actually doing it. I went to my first autocross event last year and fell in love. I decided to go with STX because it wont break the bank to much and allow me to have a bit more freedom than street. I know that the biggest thing I need to do is just practice but living in NY I can not do much until about May when all the events start so I am doing what I can to the car in the meantime. My car is still pretty humble and I am still learning so I would any feed back and constructive criticism.
This is what I have done to the car so far, all my info is mostly from my uncle who has raced his whole life and mostly in Subarus and as well as the 86 track page on facebook.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Wheels: Enkei RPF1s 17x9 with RE-71R

Brakes: Centric Rotors, StopTech Pads, StopTech S/S brake lines

Exhaust: Skunk2 Alpha EL Header, Nameless Muffler Delete

Engine: UniChip (saving up for EcuTek right now, I just got the UniChip for a steal and its better than nothing), Zeta Drop in Filter/Inlet Tube

Drivetrain: Whiteline Positive Shift Kit, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch(I know this is not allowed, I threw it in before I did my first autox, sitting on an OEM clutch just waiting on the weather to warm up a bit more), Kartboy STS

Suspension: Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings, SRP Front Camber Bolts

Interior: Raceseng Ashiko Shift Nob

Miscellaneous: Amsoil Fluid through out the car, Motor Oil, Brake Fluid, Transmission and Diff.

Thats it for now. Next on my list is the EcuTek tune and then I am not sure if I should save up for KW v3s or knock out all the little things for the suspension such as sway bars and what not. Its slowly coming along and I am doing what I can. Right now I also have a RB v2 front bumper that I know will not be allowed in nationals but for the events that I go to no one cares. Just waiting to pick up a stock bumper cheap that I can throw on for events.

strat61caster 03-24-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandiflippin (Post 2595650)
Thats it for now. Next on my list is the EcuTek tune and then I am not sure if I should save up for KW v3s or knock out all the little things for the suspension such as sway bars and what not.

If you buy sway bars before coilovers be prepared to change them, they're generally used to fine tune balance after you get all the other stuff in the ballpark like spring rates, damping, alignment, tire pressures. Jumping into one early isn't a terrible idea, just don't consider it 'bought that so that's crossed off the list' and be willing to sell and buy another one or two. They seem to hold their value pretty well, imo keep an eye out and buy used, virtually no sway bars for this car will be older than ~3 years and they're not things that typically wear out over time, at least not until after heavy use.

kandiflippin 03-24-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2595704)
If you buy sway bars before coilovers be prepared to change them, they're generally used to fine tune balance after you get all the other stuff in the ballpark like spring rates, damping, alignment, tire pressures. Jumping into one early isn't a terrible idea, just don't consider it 'bought that so that's crossed off the list' and be willing to sell and buy another one or two. They seem to hold their value pretty well, imo keep an eye out and buy used, virtually no sway bars for this car will be older than ~3 years and they're not things that typically wear out over time, at least not until after heavy use.

Good to know, it sounds like most people are just doing the front and then going back to stock in the rear with just some endlinks? I was looking a tthe whiteline 20mm adjustable sway bar and figured that would give me some wiggle room to tweak it.

swarb 03-24-2016 01:43 PM

Welcome!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

whataboutbob 03-24-2016 01:46 PM

STX is a good class for the car. You may want to check the rules http://www.scca.com/downloads/10064-...nline/download as I don't think that front bumper and the quick latches are technically legal for STX.

kandiflippin 03-24-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 2595879)
STX is a good class for the car. You may want to check the rules http://www.scca.com/downloads/10064-...nline/download as I don't think that front bumper and the quick latches are technically legal for STX.

I'm aware of the front bumper and put a note in my post about it, I was not aware of the quick latches though. I'll need to confirm that because I was going to put them on the stock bumper to make swapping them a little easier.

renfield90 03-24-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandiflippin (Post 2595887)
I'm aware of the front bumper and put a note in my post about it, I was not aware of the quick latches though. I'll need to confirm that because I was going to put them on the stock bumper to make swapping them a little easier.

In general most people at local events will give you a pass for this and allow you to remain in STX. Be sure to talk directly to all the competitors in the class and make sure they're cool with it.

If you're going to compete at a national level it won't fly if you're getting trophies.

Welcome to the boards!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.