Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Cosworth SC build... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81665)

350matt 02-13-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 2118840)
I havent really looked, but is this kit upgradeable? I.e. smaller pulley, or swap to a bigger blower.

according the blurb then yes, the max continuous rated speed of the charger is 20K rpm and its currently spinning at 15-16K rpm
so you could go to a smaller pulley and pick up some more boost, the current setup is what they've done all the endurance testing on so they know the engine is fine at this power level

I think Cosworth said they've run these TVS units up to 26,000 rpm as well with no issues......

350matt 02-13-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryIII (Post 2125670)
Here is a video of my cosworth stage 2.0 Cosworth Stage 2.0 BRZ - YouTube

cool

got any power figures?

JerryIII 02-14-2015 10:32 AM

their is a dyno chart on the cosworth Facebook page

350matt 02-17-2015 03:17 PM

So Ernie

got it all running yet?

Roadcone 02-17-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350matt (Post 2131083)
according the blurb then yes, the max continuous rated speed of the charger is 20K rpm and its currently spinning at 15-16K rpm
so you could go to a smaller pulley and pick up some more boost, the current setup is what they've done all the endurance testing on so they know the engine is fine at this power level

I think Cosworth said they've run these TVS units up to 26,000 rpm as well with no issues......

those numbers are almost always conservative. 03 cobra guys were afraid to run anything more than a 2.76 upper pully and now they are running that plus a huge 6 or 8lb lower and making over 500 easily with an oem M112 roots blower. If you can keep the charge temps down and you dont have huge amounts of rotor wear then keep spinning the blower.

Ernie L 02-17-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350matt (Post 2136079)
So Ernie

got it all running yet?

Did what I could do ..installed cooling system..getting ready to put the headers on... waiting on the mail from Cosworth.

up date : Crazy man in a USPS rhd jeep brought me what I was looking for from Cosworth USA...thanks a bunch Cosworth Chris.
Also much thanks to Rally sport direct customer service ,WORKS Harry, 350Matt and others I can't think of at the moment.
My first full day off is Sunday ..so I will install the Cosworth header and thermostat. By Monday it should be completed.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=8928

Ernie L 02-22-2015 05:42 PM

Today I am installing a front pipe,over pipe, and headers. Hint..in order to remove the factory over pipe you need to first pull the engine and or transmission...your choice...

laying on my back on a cold concrete floor....this is the last damn time..

Uplink 02-22-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryIII (Post 2125670)
Here is a video of my cosworth stage 2.0 Cosworth Stage 2.0 BRZ - YouTube

Awesome video. Just a question though, what is different between this kit and the Innovate kit that this one doesn't have the high strung whine? I'm loving the fact that this one doesn't have it.

Ernie L 02-22-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uplink (Post 2143192)
Awesome video. Just a question though, what is different between this kit and the Innovate kit that this one doesn't have the high strung whine? I'm loving the fact that this one doesn't have it.

You might want to contact JerryIII directly ..that was his video

jflogerzi 02-22-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie L (Post 2143112)
Today I am installing a front pipe,over pipe, and headers. Hint..in order to remove the factory over pipe you need to first pull the engine and or transmission...your choice...

Umm when I replaced my stock header and overpipe, I did neither... ;)

Ernie L 02-22-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 2143326)
Umm when I replaced my stock header and overpipe, I did neither... ;)

I would hope not....I was exaggerating the difficulty to express my frustration .

killboy 02-23-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uplink (Post 2143192)

Having owned another Positive-Displacement supercharged car (2005 Mini Cooper S) and seeing the difference it makes in sound when you change out the pulleys and "overspin" the supercharger, I've seen how much louder the whine gets when you actually push the supercharger closer to its design limits. The stock Cooper S S/C whine is barely audible, but overdrive it 17/19% and it's a screamer.

My tuner (Sharif at Forged Performance) has spent quite a bit of time talking with Cosworth about their FRS/BRZ Cosworth S/C kit. (They are actually having a meeting at his shop this Tuesday to discuss sales and future product.) They made it quite clear that their S/C has been over-designed and dialed back to about half of it's mechanical potential. I'm pretty certain that's the reason this one is rather quiet. If you want to push the S/C harder, all you have to do is change out the pulleys, but you better have your engine built and ready for the extra pressure.

350matt 02-23-2015 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie L (Post 2143112)

Hello Ernie

to get the overpipe in you have to undo the passenger side engine mount and lift the engine on that side, there's enough flexibility in the mount ot allow th engine to be raised up

doing it on a garage floor will be hard as you need a fair bit of room underneath to swing the cosworth pipe down and up

Uplink 02-23-2015 10:20 PM

So Ernie, here's an interesting question... once the kit is installed, are you going to keep the Cosworth tune or see if there's more power to be had with their setup by having the ECU massaged a little more?
If they only supply a canned tune that guarantees that power level to everyone that installs the kit, I'm sure individual cars could benefit from some fine tuning.