Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Crawford ecoblocks (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79529)

dtrop 12-20-2014 08:54 PM

Crawford ecoblocks

Saw recent facebook posts regarding this new time semi-available by Crawford.

A stock 2014 sti saw 15hp gain and 18lbs of torque for the cost of $50 and an under $5 installation. I guess it's a maf sensor but I'm not entirely sure what it does. It also can see ~7% increased mpg. It only works on the stock intake.

They said it should be available on their website this weekend but are taking orders by phone.

Any thoughts? If no problems arise, it is undoubtedly the best bang for the buck mod and I'm curious what kind of numbers it can pump on in a twin. Even a 5hp gain to the wheels would be awesome.

kodyo 12-20-2014 09:08 PM

I imagine this is a mod that only works untuned because it's tricking the computer doing the air/fuel calculations in some way.

I personally wouldn't do it, a tune seems like a safer more reliable way to get these gains.

J_kennington 12-20-2014 09:12 PM

Every thing I've ever seen from Crawford does BHP. Not WHP. So in reality at 15 claimed horsepower, your actually only getting a 2-3 bonus to the wheels

White64Goat 12-20-2014 09:13 PM

Crawford makes them for the twins but they're far from $50 and $5 installation. Believe they are called Crawford Billet Power Blocks.

dtrop 12-20-2014 09:39 PM

Yes this only works without a tune.

The billet blocks are a different product. This is a new product that they have been working on for years, apparently.

2-3 hp for $50 isn't bad. Consider this and a k & n filter and you have 8ish hp for under $100.

weederr33 12-20-2014 10:51 PM

Not sure if I should be suspicious or excited...

steve99 12-20-2014 11:58 PM

Looks like a spacer fitted to maf sensor.

Suspect it shifts maf sensor slightly out of the main air flow in intake.
Suppose this would make the sensor detect slightly less air flow, ecu would then be fooled into injecting slightly less fuel as the air flow detected by maf sensor would be less but the actual air flow would be same.

Maf sensor also used as input to engine load calculation so it going to shift a lot of things like timing vvt and ignition arround.

Probaby relies on most stock turbo cars running rich for safety so leaning it out theoreticly gets you better economy and a bit of power.

it all seems a bit dodgy

would it work with a stock 86/brz who knows but gains if any would be less than turbo car.

Poodles 12-21-2014 01:03 AM

Pretty sad seeing a product like this from a reputable company...

I want to use worse language, but I'd rather not be banned.

dtrop 12-21-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 2063823)
Looks like a spacer fitted to maf sensor.

Suspect it shifts maf sensor slightly out of the main air flow in intake.
Suppose this would make the sensor detect slightly less air flow, ecu would then be fooled into injecting slightly less fuel as the air flow detected by maf sensor would be less but the actual air flow would be same.

Maf sensor also used as input to engine load calculation so it going to shift a lot of things like timing vvt and ignition arround.

Probaby relies on most stock turbo cars running rich for safety so leaning it out theoreticly gets you better economy and a bit of power.

it all seems a bit dodgy

would it work with a stock 86/brz who knows but gains if any would be less than turbo car.

I thought I read that results would be best on a stock twin.

Yes, it seems a bit sketchy, but what problems could this actually cause?

steve99 12-21-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrop (Post 2063993)
I thought I read that results would be best on a stock twin.

Yes, it seems a bit sketchy, but what problems could this actually cause?

If your tuned you can alter the maf scale ignition timing fueling exhaust/intake valve timing ect in the desired amounts to obtain better performance or suit you modifications

This spacer it appears will just artificially offset the maf scaling, could possibly cause drivability problems or just may not work at all on a non boosted car.

dtrop 12-21-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 2064041)
If your tuned you can alter the maf scale ignition timing fueling exhaust/intake valve timing ect in the desired amounts to obtain better performance or suit you modifications

This spacer it appears will just artificially offset the maf scaling, could possibly cause drivability problems or just may not work at all on a non boosted car.

So it would be beneficial for those who are untuned and haven't added FI.

Poodles 12-21-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrop (Post 2064414)

Possibly. The issue here is that it's frankly dangerous to do stuff like this. It's stuff I've seen hack job "tuners" do instead of actually tuning a car.

For starters, their claims of increasing horsepower, increasing gas mileage, and decreasing emissions is 100% BS. If this was the case, the multi billion dollar car companies would have noticed this and done it themselves. The government breathes down their neck about emissions and MPG figures.

In reality though, it probably doesn't do much of anything as MAF sensor is in the tip of the pillar, so even if you pull the MAF out a bit, it's still reading the air the same.

Of course, there's always the possibility it's true and works (kinda like their power blocks, though I'm still not sold on those either).

cdrazic93 12-21-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles (Post 2064427)
For starters, their claims of increasing horsepower, increasing gas mileage, and decreasing emissions is 100% BS. If this was the case, the multi billion dollar car companies would have noticed this and done them

Ahh beat me to it.

steve99 12-21-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrop (Post 2064414)

i agree with @Poodles it all seems a bit suspect and snake oil like