Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Have a detailing question - Ask Detailer's Domain (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17687)

DetailersDomain 09-19-2012 03:19 PM

Have a detailing question - Ask Detailer's Domain

Let me know what's on your mind, how to apply something, tech questions on detailing?

I will try to answer it the best I can also welcome others to answer as well.

A great instructional video for newbies and veterans alike.

Adam's Instructional Videos

Updated - How to navigate - Detailer's Domain

Take a look you can do quite a bit on our site

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...dnavigate1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...8gb/ddnav2.jpg

Like Us on Facebook.

DetailersDomain 09-20-2012 08:44 AM

FRS - New Car Prep - Opti-Coat - Clear Film Installation - White Out
FRS - New Car Prep - Opti-Coat - Clear Film Installation - Raven
FRS - New Car Prep - Opti-Coat - White Out
BRZ - New Car Prep - Opti-Coat - Clear Film Installation - WRB
BRZ - New Car Prep - Opti-Coat - Galaxy Blue Silica
BRZ - New Car Prep - Opti Coat - Black Silica

Skye 09-30-2012 06:45 PM

I don't know if this question belongs under detailing, has anyone a comment on undercoating and whether or not it will reduce wind/road noise? If so what kind?

DetailersDomain 10-01-2012 10:26 AM

sorry I won't be able to answer that one for you.

#87 10-01-2012 10:39 AM

There are plenty of write ups on rinseless washes but is there anyway to properly wash wheels without running water?

I presume the obvious answer is to use the same procedure on wheels as paint, but I find the brake dust is more abundant and harder to clean than body dirt and the best way I've found is soap and running water :(

DetailersDomain 10-01-2012 10:56 AM

sure on a lightly dusted wheel I would use a towel and some detail spray,
but if they are heavily caked on I would suggest you go with a good wheel cleaner and brushes and running water.

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Wheel Woolies

tintumz22 11-04-2012 03:30 PM

Waxed the new car. how many times in a year should you wax the car? I'm using synthetic wax. do you need to removed old wax if reapplying wax? Thanks!

Tylub 11-04-2012 03:40 PM

Dealer messed my clearcoat up bad. Has lots of swirls and clearcoat scratches. What's thr best approach to correcting? Don't want to use fillers as those will just wash away.. looking for a more permanent solution thanks

Tylub 11-04-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReflectiveAuto (Post 537997)
There is no Permanent solution...are you going to do the paint correction yourself or are you looking for a proper detailer that can fix your paints problems?

Best way to do it, after decontaminating the paint is to use a top quality compound (1 Step or 2 Step) to remove the scratches and swils (RIDS) and follow up with a top quality polish, with a DA and a proper foam pad for that job at hand, then top that with a quality wax or sealant.

myself, as i don't trust anyone else. "if you want something done right, do it yourself" right?

thanks, i guess i just have to repeat this step every couple of months ehh? :cry:

DetailersDomain 11-05-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintumz22 (Post 537962)
Waxed the new car. how many times in a year should you wax the car? I'm using synthetic wax. do you need to removed old wax if reapplying wax? Thanks!

sorry for the delay no power due to Sandy.

as for how many times a year some do it once a month, some wax after every oil change.

there is no set rule.

you will only need to remove the wax if you want to change the type of wax you are using or want a fresh start.

DetailersDomain 11-05-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylub (Post 537978)
Dealer messed my clearcoat up bad. Has lots of swirls and clearcoat scratches. What's thr best approach to correcting? Don't want to use fillers as those will just wash away.. looking for a more permanent solution thanks

what machine are you planning to use?

Tylub 11-05-2012 01:30 PM

I'm probably going to go with the Maguiar's ultimate compound and the orbital buffer. But before i start i'm going with mother's clay to clean everything off. The dealer "detailed" my car as a solution to the fix and ended up doing a really bad job and just sealed in a bunch of debris and marks... then i'll finish up with some paste wax

hopefully that should suffice
what do you think?

Tylub 11-05-2012 01:30 PM

and hope you guys are ok

tintumz22 11-05-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetailersDomain (Post 539518)
sorry for the delay no power due to Sandy.

as for how many times a year some do it once a month, some wax after every oil change.

there is no set rule.

you will only need to remove the wax if you want to change the type of wax you are using or want a fresh start.

N problem and I'm sorry to hear about Storm Sandy. Fast recovery for y'all there. What to use in stripping off the wax?