Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Headers and Portland emissions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125412)

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 03:01 PM

Headers and Portland emissions

Hi, couldn’t find a specific answer so figured some of you guys might know.

I plan to buy tomei uel headers in the coming months to pair with my n1 catback.
My deq is next March, and I’m wondering will I pass emissions with this setup, or will I have to put the stock headers back on when I go in? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imrac 02-16-2018 03:51 PM

It will be removing your primary cat, as such you will get a check engine light (FAIL) unless you tune it out (Removing the code) .

If you plan on switching back to your stock header, make sure you drive your car a while with it on if you clear codes or reset the ECU. You will need to make sure all the readiness checks are good, otherwise they may tell you to come back later.

I don't know if Oregon does a visual inspection or not.

Edit: Also, with the N1, it will be VERY loud. so be prepared for that...

AnotherDude000 02-16-2018 04:25 PM

No visual inspection in Oregon, so you'll be ok. If you do one of the following:

It depends. If you use a spacer for the O2 sensor and it WORKS, and you have no CEL, then you'll be fine. Spacers are 50/50. Otherwise, if it doesn't work and you get a CEL, you'll either need to tune it or swap back to OEM for the DEQ test.

When you switch back to OEM, you'll need to drive it probably 25-30 miles for the ECU to be ready for the OBDII.

I would recommend a tune.

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDude000 (Post 3045358)
No visual inspection in Oregon, so you'll be ok. If you do one of the following:

It depends. If you use a spacer for the O2 sensor and it WORKS, and you have no CEL, then you'll be fine. Spacers are 50/50. Otherwise, if it doesn't work and you get a CEL, you'll either need to tune it or swap back to OEM for the DEQ test.

When you switch back to OEM, you'll need to drive it probably 25-30 miles for the ECU to be ready for the OBDII.

I would recommend a tune.

I’m going to be tuning 100% with a OFT.

AnotherDude000 02-16-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergeb96 (Post 3045362)
I’m going to be tuning 100% with a OFT.

You'll be fine then. OFT will get rid of CEL and pass DEQ.

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac (Post 3045345)
It will be removing your primary cat, as such you will get a check engine light (FAIL) unless you tune it out (Removing the code) .

If you plan on switching back to your stock header, make sure you drive your car a while with it on if you clear codes or reset the ECU. You will need to make sure all the readiness checks are good, otherwise they may tell you to come back later.

I don't know if Oregon does a visual inspection or not.

Edit: Also, with the N1, it will be VERY loud. so be prepared for that...

My friend sold me the N1 when I got the car, so that’s what I’m working with. I was told it’s loud, hopefully it’s not gonna make my ears ring...
Thanks for the insight.

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDude000 (Post 3045368)

Perfect. I was worried I had to remove headers and put stock tune on. Thanks so much for the help. I can rest easy now.

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDude000 (Post 3045368)

Hey I also had one more question. On ft86speedfactory on the headers page it also shows options to buy grimmspeed gasket and o2 sensor. Should I buy any of those too? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1e2637e972.jpg

bcj 02-16-2018 04:58 PM

Expreme Engrish

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcj (Post 3045382)
Expreme Engrish

I beg your pardon?

AnotherDude000 02-16-2018 05:00 PM

The Gasket is to keep a good seal on the header so it won't leak. Grimmspeed ones are a little thicker so it seals better but I didn't need one for my Borla. I went to the local Subaru dealer and picked up a new OEM one for half that price.

You don't need the O2 spacer because you'll be running OFT, but until you get the OFT you'll probably be getting a CEL.

Sergeb96 02-16-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDude000 (Post 3045384)
The Gasket is to keep a good seal on the header so it won't leak. Grimmspeed ones are a little thicker so it seals better but I didn't need one for my Borla. I went to the local Subaru dealer and picked up a new OEM one for half that price.

You don't need the O2 spacer because you'll be running OFT, but until you get the OFT you'll probably be getting a CEL.

When I purchase, I’m going to buy both the header and tablet together. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket. Appreciate your help. [emoji2]

HSUBLU 02-16-2018 05:56 PM

You might be able to find some good deals on folks locally that would be selling slightly used UEL headers, if you're willing to wait and keep your eyes open.

Omi Ham-Sandwich 02-16-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergeb96 (Post 3045369)
My friend sold me the N1 when I got the car, so that’s what I’m working with. I was told it’s loud, hopefully it’s not gonna make my ears ring...
Thanks for the insight.

It will... b/c I have it... w/ the Tomei UEL.