Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Motul gear 300 or Redline MT90? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21628)

BRZ NA 11-07-2012 12:50 AM

Motul gear 300 or Redline MT90?

I m trying to choose which one is better to use for transmission and differential.Motul or Redline?need some feedback from people who used them please.and this is my first time changing those fluid myself so just to confirm,there is no additive need to be added in right?and also,is the crush washer same size as the oil pan one?thx

TheSt|G 11-07-2012 01:37 AM

Definitely would avoid the Motul 300 for the trans(we aren't GL-5 rated), but it should be excellent in the diff(what I'm using). Make sure you just get the standard gear lube version though as we don't need the friction modifiers found in the LS version as we don't have a clutch diff.

For the trans I would(and I am) run Amsoil MTG. Proper GL-4 rated fluid that won't eat our syncros unlike what the dealer tried to sell me for a change. I tend to have a rather negative view of Redline as I feel they focus more on hitting the buzzwords than actually delivering a product.

Read around, check bobtheoilguy.com, and get informed. I suspect you will come to similar conclusions.

You also need to order all this crush washers/gaskets(the tranny uses two of the same):

2x M/T Fill plug gasket: 17008AA050
Rear Diff Fill plug gasket: 11126JB000
Rear Diff Drain plug gasket: 1215710010

M1K3 11-07-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSt|G (Post 543225)
For the trans I would(and I am) run Amsoil MTG. Proper GL-4 rated fluid that won't eat our syncros unlike what the dealer tried to sell me for a change.

Yes I like:
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ima..._qt_350pxh.jpg

TheSt|G 11-07-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1K3 (Post 543411)

Yup, very good stuff with a long and established record. :party0030:

gmookher 11-07-2012 09:02 AM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=16604&page=7

BRZ NA 11-07-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmookher (Post 543489)

thx,alot of reading.

BRZ NA 11-07-2012 09:50 PM

looks like most people would recommend use redline MT-90 for transmission and motul 300 for diff?

White Shadow 11-07-2012 09:56 PM

Did you look into Redline MTL? I'm not sure if it's the correct oil for the gearbox on these cars or not, but if it is compatible, I'd highly recommend it, as it made a fantastic difference in cold weather shifting in some of my past cars.

bluesubie 11-07-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Read around, check bobtheoilguy.com, and get informed. I suspect you will come to similar conclusions.

+1! Like any forum though, you just need to filter out the noise.

Synchromesh Manual Transmission Lubricants.
Quote:

Most GL5 differential and GL4 Manual Transmission oils contain sulfur-phosphorous EP packages. GL4 does NOT refer to any specific viscosity, but it refers to a level of AW/EP protection for the gearing and bearings in a transmission. GL4-rated oils contain about 40% to 60% of the EP additives that GL5 oils contain.
Gear Tribology and Lubrication

Quote:

GL-4; Specified for hypoid gear service under severe service but without shock loading. This classification is essentially obsolete but is still specified by some manual transmission/transaxle manufacturers. Implies an EP/AW additive package that contains 30% to 50% less S-P additives than the GL-5 service classification. Some Marine Gear Lubes fall into this classification, especially the full Synthetic Marine Gear lubes and specialty blenders MT lubes that use high levels of esters.

GL-5; Specified for hypoid gear service but with shock loads and severe service operation. Usually meets Mil-L-2105D and in most cases, is the multipurpose automotive gear oil. Most 75W90 to 75W140 grades meet the GL-5 classification. This grade has a high level of Extreme-Pressure additives that could be mildly corrosive to nonferrous parts, such as brass, bronze and aluminum parts. Most of the modern GL-5 lubes contain metal deactivators that prevents attacks by the extreme-pressure additives. In addition to EP additives, these lubes contain rust inhibitors, defoamants, friction modifiers, thickeners, and Viscosity Index Improvers.
I'm guessing that Motul claims Gear 300 meets both GL4 and GL5 because it may contain metal deactivators. I do not blend their gear oil, so maybe it would be best to ask Motul how they meet both specs. :D Or maybe Molakule at bitog can shed some light on this. He has blended gear oil and highly recommends Gear 300 for Subaru differentials.

-Dennis

philstar 11-08-2012 06:41 AM

is there a specified amount that goes into the transmission and differential, or just fill until it starts coming out of the fill hole for each?

No Limit Motorsport 11-08-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Definitely would avoid the Motul 300 for the trans(we aren't GL-5 rated)

It is a GL4/GL5 and it works great in the transmission. Some of the thinner oils might shift a bit better cold, but once the transmission comes up to operating temperature it gives you nice solid smooth shifts.

http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1303320907

We have serviced a lot cars locally and have not needed to replace the washers. It couldn't hurt to have them, but it really wasn't necessary, so don't pull your hair out running around to get them if you don't want to.

No Limit Motorsport 11-08-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philstar (Post 545439)
is there a specified amount that goes into the transmission and differential, or just fill until it starts coming out of the fill hole for each?

There is a spec in the book, something like 2.2 liters for transmission and 1.3 for differential. That being said once you get to the fill spec, the oil starts to come out of the filler hole so you know you are done.

BRZ NA 11-09-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Limit Motorsport (Post 545477)
It is a GL4/GL5 and it works great in the transmission. Some of the thinner oils might shift a bit better cold, but once the transmission comes up to operating temperature it gives you nice solid smooth shifts.

http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1303320907

We have serviced a lot cars locally and have not needed to replace the washers. It couldn't hurt to have them, but it really wasn't necessary, so don't pull your hair out running around to get them if you don't want to.

so any complain about using motul for the trans from your customers?

No Limit Motorsport 11-09-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ NA (Post 549188)
so any complain about using motul for the trans from your customers?

Only positives so far. The only thing I can say is that since it is a 75w90 you can notice the transmission shift smoother once it comes up to temp. That being said even cold it is better than the factory. Once up to temp I have no doubt it is offering excellent protection to the transmission internals.