Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Help] Door handle broken (?) URGENT! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133505)

LeonardoDaVinny 03-18-2019 01:05 AM

[Help] Door handle broken (?) URGENT!

So I was taking apart the car for a wrap and removed the driver's door handle. After putting it back together, I noticed that the handle only pulls straight out and has no rebound/tension (does not open the door).

This is the handle from the outside. It just stays pulled out after tugging on it. Has anybody had experience with this and if so, how did you fix it. Thanks!

humfrz 03-18-2019 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonardoDaVinny (Post 3197151)
So I was taking apart the car for a wrap and removed the driver's door handle. After putting it back together, I noticed that the handle only pulls straight out and has no rebound/tension (does not open the door).

This is the handle from the outside. It just stays pulled out after tugging on it. Has anybody had experience with this and if so, how did you fix it. Thanks!

I reckon there is a spring that pulls the handle back in - that you left out on the rebuild - :iono:

I suggest you take apart the other sides handle, see what it has that your busted side does not have - and order one of those.

OR, look around closer on the garage floor - hint, it will be further away than you would think it would be - :D

OR go to

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

(see the reassemble part for the front door handle)

humfrz

Mr.ac 03-18-2019 03:38 AM

You done now ducked yourself boy.
Lol aside.....
Two possible problems, you drop the spring, or forgot to fully replace everything.
Time for some YouTube research.

LeonardoDaVinny 03-18-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3197173)
You done now ducked yourself boy.
Lol aside.....
Two possible problems, you drop the spring, or forgot to fully replace everything.
Time for some YouTube research.

Hmm.. I did not even know there was a spring. I will go look around!

LeonardoDaVinny 03-18-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3197159)
I reckon there is a spring that pulls the handle back in - that you left out on the rebuild - :iono:

I suggest you take apart the other sides handle, see what it has that your busted side does not have - and order one of those.

OR, look around closer on the garage floor - hint, it will be further away than you would think it would be - :D

OR go to

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

(see the reassemble part for the front door handle)

humfrz

I would, but I am afraid of breaking that one as well. It seems like there should be a spring as you stated since the handle fully pulls out, but stops at a certain point with no tension at all. Do you think I should head to the stealership if I cannot find the spring?

ermax 03-18-2019 03:47 PM

My guess is the linkage detached as you stuffed it back in which is why it isn't being pulled back in and also why it isn't actually opening the door.

humfrz 03-18-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonardoDaVinny (Post 3197374)
I would, but I am afraid of breaking that one as well. It seems like there should be a spring as you stated since the handle fully pulls out, but stops at a certain point with no tension at all. Do you think I should head to the stealership if I cannot find the spring?

First, I'd suggest you drill down through the reference I gave you (exterior-front door- latch- reassembly).

Like ol @ermax mentioned, there is a couple of rods that must be inserted/reattached.

humfrz

LeonardoDaVinny 03-20-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3197396)
First, I'd suggest you drill down through the reference I gave you (exterior-front door- latch- reassembly).

Like ol @ermax mentioned, there is a couple of rods that must be inserted/reattached.

humfrz

Looked through it. It seems like everything was attached perfectly on the inside. For some reason, the outside does not seem to latch back on upon reassembly (?)

ermax 03-20-2019 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonardoDaVinny (Post 3198016)
Looked through it. It seems like everything was attached perfectly on the inside. For some reason, the outside does not seem to latch back on upon reassembly (?)

Are you saying you took the door back apart and verified that everything is connected?

Irace86.2.0 03-20-2019 10:59 AM

In order to remove the door panel the pull cord for the door handle has to be removed. The hammer end slides up. Remove the door panel and make sure the door latch is correct. Compare to the other side for reference.

LeonardoDaVinny 03-21-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3198031)
Are you saying you took the door back apart and verified that everything is connected?

Yes, that is what I did, but it still does not work at all D;

ermax 03-21-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonardoDaVinny (Post 3198670)

I've never removed the external portion of the door handle so I don't have any personal experience to share on this unfortunately.

maslin 03-22-2019 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonardoDaVinny (Post 3198670)

Make sure you’re getting that “hook” on the bottom left behind the latch. Sometimes you have to pull the part in the door out a bit before sliding the handle in. Never had a Toyota/Subaru handle off but they’re all the same. The pic below is an FRS handle.

LeonardoDaVinny 03-23-2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslin (Post 3198962)
Make sure you’re getting that “hook” on the bottom left behind the latch. Sometimes you have to pull the part in the door out a bit before sliding the handle in. Never had a Toyota/Subaru handle off but they’re all the same. The pic below is an FRS handle.

Seems like the latch was not able to hook on after repeated attempts. However, the latch is still present, so I am sure it is not broken. I will try to reassemble the handle once again. Hopefully, it works this time while pulling the part in the door!