Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mods that you instantly regretted? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141299)

CrowsFeast 07-06-2020 10:19 AM

Mods that you instantly regretted?

Recently installed the Whiteline and Perrin transmission mount reinforcements (had to drill out the Whiteline hole to fit the Perrin). With all the rusted bolts and not having my regular jack (had a short one so that by the time it was on jack stands I didn't have much room under the car) it was a real PITA to get the mount out.

I was relieved when everything was done until I went to back out of the garage. The increased vibrations when you're just starting to engage the clutch are huge! There's such a difference that I'm finding I'm not giving it quite as much gas as I usually do, which in turn makes it start to bog, which makes it worse.

Now I could adapt to that and it would be ok but then I went for a test drive... omg the gear whine... I upgraded the transmission mounts in both my previous cars and never experienced anything like this. Hell, in my first car I upgraded the trans mount, cammed it and wound up with a steering wheel that bounced like a damn drag car if the AC was on when idling and it wasn't anything like this!

The car sounds great when doing a pull but it's a bit absurd for just driving around town. I'm leaving them both in for now hoping it will get better as things settle/break in but I may wind up removing one or the other in a month or 2. Kind of feel like I've ruined it for now though.

On the plus side my shifts feel great especially since I installed a kartboy shift bushing at the same time! (had to boil the bushing to get it to slip over the pin and look up some guides online to find out about dropping the drive shaft support for space but it went ok overall)

Joveen 07-06-2020 10:30 AM

I was in the same boat months ago minus the whole cutting part. The sound the car made on first start up made me think mess up my car haha. Then hearing the flywheel drove me crazy for a while. It's been 4 months since install and barely even notice it there. I sometimes forget I installed them. I think they have finally settled in but I still hear the flywheel noise (transmission noises rather) every now and again. If I had to do it again I would just go with the sti transmission mount because it replaces those 2 things used. I would go STI trans mount and perrin shifter bushing along with STI or torque solution engine mounts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

86league 07-06-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrowsFeast (Post 3346944)
Recently installed the Whiteline and Perrin transmission mount reinforcements (had to drill out the Whiteline hole to fit the Perrin).

I did a similar swap - Energy suspension shifter mount, whiteline transmission mount, and Cusco shift lever retainer bushings when I had the trans out to replace the TOB.

Huge increase in NVH with no real benefit to shifting. Not at all worth it IMO. I regret spending the $100.

I would not swap any of these bushings, esp the shift lever retainers. It was kind of a fun experiment, but the end result was worse than stock for me even with it being mostly a weekend/track toy.

DarkPira7e 07-06-2020 12:23 PM

Heavy wheels. Bought XXR 18x8.75 wheels, car was much slower at low RPM and taking off from a dead stop. Swapped on my 16x7 winter wheels and tires just to have the driving enjoyment back

NoHaveMSG 07-06-2020 12:47 PM

Solid subframe mounts. They are a little much on a car that sees very much street driving.

Aluminum one piece drive shaft. Will not balance, terrible vibration.

wolffbite 07-06-2020 01:10 PM

IRP v3 short shifter.

Shifting was fun, but even with the "fixed" version of the shifter it had unbearable rattle starting at 2500 rpm all the way up to redline. Definitely not acceptable to me for a daily so I removed it a week later and sold it.

Ohio Enthusiast 07-06-2020 02:25 PM

Painting brake calipers - not on the BRZ, but I was all excited getting the calipers painted, but once done I didn't like the result at all. I know, a cosmetic mod, but one that takes quite some time to do and is hard to undo. I'll stick to unpainted or painted silver/black in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrowsFeast (Post 3346944)
Recently installed the Whiteline and Perrin transmission mount reinforcements (had to drill out the Whiteline hole to fit the Perrin)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3346946)
I was in the same boat months ago minus the whole cutting part...

Strange, I have almost the same setup (Perrin rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission insert and Torque Solutions front shifter carrier bushings) and have no added NVH at all, but the shifts are much more solid during acceleration/braking (before it was all over the place).

Tcoat 07-06-2020 02:31 PM

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/imag...ine=1469742173

MJones_RB 07-06-2020 03:09 PM

TRD's Short Shifter Kit. This thing did nothing but cause problems for me. The bolt kept coming loose to the point that I could barely get it into gear. No amount of Lock Tite would help. PLUS I had to tear the rubber boot to get it off. When I finally de-installed it I smashed that damn thing with a hammer for all the trouble it caused me.

Some people install it and have no issues. Not sure what I did wrong but that one really got me.

Sapphireho 07-06-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones_RB (Post 3347032)
TRD's Short Shifter Kit. This thing did nothing but cause problems for me. The bolt kept coming loose to the point that I could barely get it into gear. No amount of Lock Tite would help. PLUS I had to tear the rubber boot to get it off. When I finally de-installed it I smashed that damn thing with a hammer for all the trouble it caused me.

Some people install it and have no issues. Not sure what I did wrong but that one really got me.

Same with the one I had. Went straight in the garbage.

Joveen 07-06-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3347013)

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SUSPECT_BRZ 07-06-2020 05:24 PM

Anyone regretting going forced induction and ending up with a ton of issues? Curious about this too.

Ghost of Akina 07-06-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3347034)
Same with the one I had. Went straight in the garbage.

I had this issue on my 13' FRS, took it out and sold a week after install on the forum I think.

sukumizu 07-06-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3346976)
Heavy wheels. Bought XXR 18x8.75 wheels, car was much slower at low RPM and taking off from a dead stop. Swapped on my 16x7 winter wheels and tires just to have the driving enjoyment back

The main reason why I avoided 18" (aside from tire costs) and bought real SSRs even though reps would have mostly worked fine for daily driving and the occasional track day.