Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gauge install, dash cluster light cable, Tach RPM cable help... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28800)

Sportsguy83 02-12-2013 05:10 AM

Gauge install, dash cluster light cable, Tach RPM cable help...

Fellow electricity enthusiast, I need help. I have looked at the wiring manual and while I have a general idea about it, I really don't understand everything on it.

I will be installing gauges soon and need to tap my gauges to the cluster lights cable in order to have the gauges dim accordingly. Could some help me figure out which cable I should be tapping into? What about the RPM Tach cable?

While we are here, can I can I crimp the power cables for both gauges together and add them to a single "add a fuse"? Each gauge requires 5A Fuse, so I figured I can use a 10 Amp fuse. Those that make sense or I need to add a separate "add a fuse" for each?

Thanks in advance!

2forme 02-12-2013 07:43 AM

Ever think about using the radio dimmer signal wire?

Sportsguy83 02-12-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forme (Post 729332)

Well, it might work but I'm not sure. I don't know how the circuit within the gauge works. Does it take the signal to turn the cluster lights on to dim the gauge display? And also, how does the radio dimmer work, does it send a signal to dim it or is it actually grading the amount of current down to dim it? I honestly don't know the answer to either but maybe you know more than me and can answer them.

Or maybe you just know using the radio dimmer just works for gauges?

Thanks for the help! Let me know what you think.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

2forme 02-12-2013 11:06 AM

Well, the gauges that I have in my other car just run full brightness, until the dimmer wire gets juice. I have it piped into my radio harness to handle that....

I guess it depends on the gauge, what do the installation instructions say?

Trashed675 02-12-2013 05:10 PM

Not sure if its exactly what youre looking for, but i wired in some LED's into my air vents using the radio dimmer and they work like a charm. They are off until i turn the lights on.

Dave-ROR 02-12-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 729269)
Fellow electricity enthusiast, I need help. I have looked at the wiring manual and while I have a general idea about it, I really don't understand everything on it.

I will be installing gauges soon and need to tap my gauges to the cluster lights cable in order to have the gauges dim accordingly. Could some help me figure out which cable I should be tapping into? What about the RPM Tach cable?

While we are here, can I can I crimp the power cables for both gauges together and add them to a single "add a fuse"? Each gauge requires 5A Fuse, so I figured I can use a 10 Amp fuse. Those that make sense or I need to add a separate "add a fuse" for each?

Thanks in advance!

Mine just illuminate with the illum feed, no dimming. Damn expensive Defi's can't do that unless you go to the newer Advance BF ones.

I pull my feed off the foglight fuse so I can turn off the annoying gauge illumination at night :) The warning light is enough in case there's an issue.

For the fuse, run whatever the load should be. I doubt the gauge really pulls that much. Since mine is control unit based I just needed one feed. In the race car I have them all fed off one power wire with a 5A fuse for 3 autometer gauges. Illumination is pulled off the radio illumination wire.

Sportsguy83 02-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forme (Post 729576)
Well, the gauges that I have in my other car just run full brightness, until the dimmer wire gets juice. I have it piped into my radio harness to handle that....

I guess it depends on the gauge, what do the installation instructions say?

Look at page 3 here: http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-4900.pdf

I guess it does work like you say, they run full brightness until the instrument panel cable gets juice. So then, what is the cable for radio dimmer? Thanks for the help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 730611)
Mine just illuminate with the illum feed, no dimming. Damn expensive Defi's can't do that unless you go to the newer Advance BF ones.

I pull my feed off the foglight fuse so I can turn off the annoying gauge illumination at night :) The warning light is enough in case there's an issue.

For the fuse, run whatever the load should be. I doubt the gauge really pulls that much. Since mine is control unit based I just needed one feed. In the race car I have them all fed off one power wire with a 5A fuse for 3 autometer gauges. Illumination is pulled off the radio illumination wire.

I honestly don't know exactly if they Dimm or not, I guess I'll figure it out when I install them. Waiting for the Prime Motoring Cluster. Thanks for the help.

Sportsguy83 02-12-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2forme (Post 729332)

Have any idea on what is the RPM cable in the cluster harness?

OrbitalEllipses 02-12-2013 08:33 PM

Subarus usually have reversed illumination circuits. Personally hate wiring, so I haven't explored this further, but it's on every major Subaru forum for your digestion. Big ole scar from the soldering iron was enough.

King Tut 02-12-2013 09:20 PM

I have the dimmer wire hooked up properly to my AEM gauge which allows the dimmer circuit to be either 0 to 12v or 12 to 0v. Unfortunetly, the difference in V between dim and not dim is not enough to change the gauge. I would recommend just leaving that wire unhooked. As for RPM, there are a couple wires that you can use:

Pin 17 on connector D48 Gray Wire
Pin 15 on connector A35 Gray/Red Wire

I haven't gotten around to trying either of these yet though.

Sportsguy83 02-12-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 731062)
I have the dimmer wire hooked up properly to my AEM gauge which allows the dimmer circuit to be either 0 to 12v or 12 to 0v. Unfortunetly, the difference in V between dim and not dim is not enough to change the gauge. I would recommend just leaving that wire unhooked. As for RPM, there are a couple wires that you can use:

Pin 17 on connector D48 Gray Wire
Pin 15 on connector A35 Gray/Red Wire

I haven't gotten around to trying either of these yet though.

That sucks... do you feel they bother much at night? (Thanks for the RPM signal location)

King Tut 02-13-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 731468)
That sucks... do you feel they bother much at night? (Thanks for the RPM signal location)

Well my gauge just has the not very bright LED screen in the middle since it only shows black and the white number of my boost or vacuum and the lights on the outside for the air fuel ratio, no backlight, so I think it is fine in full bright mode. I can move the dimmer switch and get the gauge to temporarily change to a dimmer mode, but then it comes right back to full brightness shortly afterwards which is weird. I checked the voltage and it definitely changes on that wire when you move the dimmer switch from full bright to no bright.

Sportsguy83 02-13-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 731516)
Well my gauge just has the not very bright LED screen in the middle since it only shows black and the white number of my boost or vacuum and the lights on the outside for the air fuel ratio, no backlight, so I think it is fine in full bright mode. I can move the dimmer switch and get the gauge to temporarily change to a dimmer mode, but then it comes right back to full brightness shortly afterwards which is weird. I checked the voltage and it definitely changes on that wire when you move the dimmer switch from full bright to no bright.

I bought the failsafe so this is great info. The other gauge is Oil Temp same series as the failsafe.

Acree 02-13-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 729269)

Thanks in advance!

I'm an electrical engineer and self-proclaimed wiring guru. I've been doing automotive wiring since I was 16 and for the last 10 years. I'd be glad to help if you still need it.

Can you first provide a link or make and model of the exact gauge(s) you purchased?

-Acree