Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Toyota is Replacing My Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39410)

orangeblue 06-17-2013 09:58 PM

Toyota is Replacing My Transmission

Since car was new, 1st to 2nd shift was always balky. At higher RPM, shift into 4th, either from 3rd or 5th, would result in a really disturbing metallic crunching noise. Could be cruising at 50mph in 5th gear, clutch to the floor and 4th would crunch.

Tried replacing fluid with Redline, no improvement. Car has between 7500 and 8000 miles.

Anyway, my Dad just got a new FR-S, and the shifting is perfectly smooth. I took it into my local dealership on Saturday and told them about the issue. Basically it started as a "this must just be how the transmission is," and changed to "something is totally FUBAR" after comparing to the new car.

The dealership put in a call to corporate Toyota, who asked them to drive my car back-to-back with another FR-S to check for a difference. Service department called me back today to say they were told to replace the transmission and that it had been ordered. Should have the car back later this week.

SoCal_86 06-18-2013 02:03 AM

I too have this issue. I should be calling my dealer soon!

Yruyur 06-18-2013 02:08 AM

Had mine replaced about 8 months ago for the same issue. If anything it helped me with my lemon law case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PANDA86 06-18-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yruyur (Post 1008533)
Had mine replaced about 8 months ago for the same issue. If anything it helped me with my lemon law case.

what was the issue or cause for malfunction?

whtchocla7e 06-18-2013 07:58 AM

Going to the dealership today. I'm tired of the crunchy gears. Thanks for the heads up.

LeeMaster 06-18-2013 08:59 AM

For all the people who got their transmission replaced under warranty, what is the last 4 of your VIN#?

#87 06-18-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMaster (Post 1008747)
For all the people who got their transmission replaced under warranty, what is the last 4 of your VIN#?

I have a less than 1000 VIN and trans no problems so far at 15k street miles, not exactly granny shifted

FRiSson 06-18-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeblue (Post 1008165)
Since car was new, 1st to 2nd shift was always balky. At higher RPM, shift into 4th, either from 3rd or 5th, would result in a really disturbing metallic crunching noise. Could be cruising at 50mph in 5th gear, clutch to the floor and 4th would crunch.

Tried replacing fluid with Redline, no improvement. Car has between 7500 and 8000 miles.

Anyway, my Dad just got a new FR-S, and the shifting is perfectly smooth. I took it into my local dealership on Saturday and told them about the issue. Basically it started as a "this must just be how the transmission is," and changed to "something is totally FUBAR" after comparing to the new car.

The dealership put in a call to corporate Toyota, who asked them to drive my car back-to-back with another FR-S to check for a difference. Service department called me back today to say they were told to replace the transmission and that it had been ordered. Should have the car back later this week.

How is the "metallic crunching noise" different from the "balky" quality of the 1-2 shift? Is there a sound associated with it, or just a feel?

waterbison777 06-18-2013 11:19 AM

I had my transmission replaced by longo toyota a few months ago as well. It was the same issue as the OP; metallic crunching sounds shifting into 4th from either 3rd or 5th gear. The crunching was definitely more prevalent when shifting above 6k rpm, but you could feel it at lower rpms as well. They said that my transmission had a deformed synchro ring and replaced the entire tranny free of charge.

LeeMaster 06-18-2013 11:40 AM

Hmmm... time to go test drive an FRS and make comparisons....

Yruyur 06-18-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANDA86 (Post 1008558)
what was the issue or cause for malfunction?

Don't know. 4th was grinding out loud. They were prepared to charge me for a new transmission if they found my clutch was burnt. It was not. Toyota corporate had them replace clutch flywheel and tranny.

radroach 06-18-2013 11:47 AM

Should I have the syncro rings checked before 30,000 miles?

Are the syncro rings replaceable instead of the whole transmission?

orangeblue 06-18-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRiSson (Post 1008847)
How is the "metallic crunching noise" different from the "balky" quality of the 1-2 shift? Is there a sound associated with it, or just a feel?

Balky just meant that the shift had resistance to it; it wouldn't smoothly engage 2nd gear. The crunching noise in 4th gear was definitely a loud metal-on-metal noise. 2nd didn't have a noise.

OrbitalEllipses 06-18-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yruyur (Post 1008947)
They were prepared to charge me for a new transmission if they found my clutch was burnt.

Sooo those of us that may have done a burnout or two won't get transmission warranty work? Cute.