Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Performance wheel bearings (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126361)

MassTroy 03-23-2018 12:29 PM

Performance wheel bearings

Last time I was working on my car I noticed that my front wheel bearings seemed very stiff and kinda noisy (they "whir" when you spin them). Someone at the shop suggested that I replace them with some higher performance bearings.

Apparently high temperatures on track can cause the spacers between the balls of the bearing to decay. Performance wheel bearings are designed with materials which can withstand the heat.

Has anyone needed to do this on their cars? Any recommendations on which product to buy or tips on how to install them?

NoHaveMSG 03-23-2018 01:23 PM

The front hubs are not serviceable on our cars. I just bought extra hubs off wreaked cars on craigslist. My favorite local track is hard on the right front and I have had to replace a hub on my car already.

MassTroy 03-23-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3062820)
The front hubs are not serviceable on our cars. I just bought extra hubs off wreaked cars on craigslist. My favorite local track is hard on the right front and I have had to replace a hub on my car already.

How many miles and how many track days do you have on the car? Mine is 60k miles and like 12 track days.

NoHaveMSG 03-23-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassTroy (Post 3062836)
How many miles and how many track days do you have on the car? Mine is 60k miles and like 12 track days.

I bought the car used almost 3 years ago with 29k on it. It had a bunch of parts on it that leads me to believe it was autoX by the previous owner. At 60K now and 8 track days before I noticed the front right had a crunchy spot in it. Kind of wish I would have kept the bad hub to see if I could get it apart.

jamal 03-23-2018 04:12 PM

I'm not aware of such a thing for these cars. But the bearings/hubs are easy to replace especially up front- they are a complete unit that bolts to the upright.

MassTroy 03-24-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamal (Post 3062919)
I'm not aware of such a thing for these cars. But the bearings/hubs are easy to replace especially up front- they are a complete unit that bolts to the upright.

I just contacted CSG and they said there aren't any high performance wheel bearings for our cars on the market but the OEM system is pretty good. Not sure why I've seen a few wear out so quickly