Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Billet Camber Plates & Mounts @ 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146672)

949 Racing 08-28-2021 05:47 PM

Billet Camber Plates & Mounts @ 949 Racing

2 Attachment(s)
Our new shock mounts are in stock and ready to ship. Click link for more details. http://949racing.com/949-racing-shock-mount-86.aspx
  • Front and rear matchy-matchy
  • Billet CNC aluminum
  • Spherical bearing
  • Coaxial perch for 2.5" springs
  • Up to -3.5° front camber
  • Lowest stack height of any 86 camber plate on the market
  • Most available bump travel of any camber plate

Shocks we fit now:
Xida (Tractive)
MCS
AST
BC Racing (and derivatives)
- Feal
- Fortune Auto
- Meister R
- Stance

The adapters on their way will add the following:
TRD
Tein (60 or 65mm springs)
ST/ KW
RSR
RCE
OEM
Koni
Bilstein
JRZ

Code Monkey 08-28-2021 06:04 PM

Is this -3.5 front camber at stock height?

949 Racing 08-28-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code Monkey (Post 3460900)
Is this -3.5 front camber at stock height?

Strut suspensions don't change camber much with height. Max camber with any strut will be when the LCA is level with the ground, ball joint at furthest distance from subframe. So full bump or full droop, the arc of the LCA puts the ball joint a few mm closer to subframe, which reduces camber by only a small fraction. Not like a wishbone or multi link where you can engineer in radical camber curves.

Technically, most strut cars lose camber as you lower them because the LCA's are tilted up, putting the ball joint closer to the subframe. One of several reasons we strongly recommend RCA (Roll Center Adjusters) on any 86 if you're lowering it. Blub uses the Whiteline kit and it's an integral part of its set up.

AngelGT86Racer 08-30-2021 06:22 PM

Impressive for about half the price of my RaceSeng camber plates - only feature missing being caster adjustment, but it's debatable how necessary that is.

949 Racing 08-30-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer (Post 3461410)
Impressive for about half the price of my RaceSeng camber plates - only feature missing being caster adjustment, but it's debatable how necessary that is.

Thanks. Production engineering is started at the initial product concept. Not just how cool can we make it, but how can we make it at all. Many factors in machining steps, sensitivity to tolerance, tolerance stacks, using OTS components. We're good at that so we tend to offer better overall value for genuine track tested race parts.

We have not found a need for caster adjustment either. We have a design with caster adjustment but it added a lot of complexity, cost and wear points so we stuck with this simpler design.

Aztec 09-03-2021 01:15 AM

I didn't see it listed, I would love to pick these up for my Bilstein B14s. Assuming it's compatible (specifically for the rear shock tops)

949 Racing 09-03-2021 01:52 AM

Correct. We do not have the right adapters for the Bilstein yet but are working on those. Should have them by December or so.

marco_mc22 09-04-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 949 Racing (Post 3461417)
Thanks. Production engineering is started at the initial product concept. Not just how cool can we make it, but how can we make it at all. Many factors in machining steps, sensitivity to tolerance, tolerance stacks, using OTS components. We're good at that so we tend to offer better overall value for genuine track tested race parts.

We have not found a need for caster adjustment either. We have a design with caster adjustment but it added a lot of complexity, cost and wear points so we stuck with this simpler design.

Have you guys ever tried an high caster setup on this platform?

949 Racing 09-04-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco_mc22 (Post 3463005)
Have you guys ever tried an high caster setup on this platform?

Nope. We tend not to experiment unless we see a need and we haven't seen a need. Blub (our development car) works very well with stock caster.

Most 86's set up for auto-x or HPDE are just running too little front camber. The other common issue we see are two piece China coilovers with lim ited bump travel paired with poorly designed camber plates that end up losing 1-2" of critical bump travel. So the front is on the bump stops in hard cornering, which generates understeer. So the owner puts a huge rear sway bar on trying to get rotation. The end result is a car that doesn't turn in well, has a twitchy rear end that requires lots of mid corner steering corrections and hates bumps. Sound familiar?

Note how little steering angle, how well it takes the 10" tall kerbs, how few steering corrections needed. This was one of the many lap records Blub has. Camber plate design is just one piece of the puzzle.

https://youtu.be/gk35Rf9isbA

949 Racing 09-23-2021 10:11 PM

More adapters being made. Should be here around December.

Shocks we fit now:
Xida (Tractive)
MCS
AST
- Feal
- Fortune Auto
- Meister R
- Stance

TRD
ST/ KW
RSR
RCE
OEM
Koni
Bilstein
JRZ

adrianj73 10-08-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 949 Racing (Post 3468372)
More adapters being made. Should be here around December.

Shocks we fit now:
Xida (Tractive)
MCS
AST
- Feal
- Fortune Auto
- Meister R
- Stance

TRD
ST/ KW
RSR
RCE
OEM
Koni
Bilstein
JRZ

Just for clarification, the 12x1.25 top nut fits the MCS, correct?

949 Racing 10-08-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianj73 (Post 3471798)
Just for clarification, the 12x1.25 top nut fits the MCS, correct?

Yup. Always visit the product page for the latest information. If you are unsure, simply walk out to your car and take some measurements.

adrianj73 10-08-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 949 Racing (Post 3471816)
Always visit the product page for the latest information. If you are unsure, simply walk out to your car and take some measurements.

I don’t have the MCS dampers yet to measure, they are on order. I can email Wyatt at MCS, but thought since I was purchasing the product from you, you’d be able to assist.

The products are loaded into my cart on your page. The first drop down for options selection drop down box does not have MCS in the list although the second drop down box for shaft size does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

949 Racing 10-08-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianj73 (Post 3471817)
I don’t have the MCS dampers yet to measure, they are on order. I can email Wyatt at MCS, but thought since I was purchasing the product from you, you’d be able to assist.

The products are loaded into my cart on your page. The first drop down for options selection drop down box does not have MCS in the list although the second drop down box for shaft size does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. Yes the MCS are 12/12.

I will update the site if that info is missing.