Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oil analysis advice (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153281)

arjunkc 05-03-2023 01:06 PM

Oil analysis advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hi yall,
My oil analysis at 15k miles about 4000 miles on the oil, and here are the results: blackstone says the copper is high. I track/autocross it about 10 times a year, and daily it as well. Any advice about what to do in the future? Shorter oil change interval/Longer oil change interval/More frequent/5W30 for track season?

soundman98 05-03-2023 01:18 PM

once is an anomaly, 2-3 times is a pattern.

do you go extremely easy on it until it's fully warmed up, or do you just send it all the time?

arjunkc 05-03-2023 02:51 PM

"Just send it bro". Jk, Jk, I take it easy until it hits 195F on the gauge.

KillerBMotorsport 05-03-2023 06:36 PM

This is not a bad report. 5 Parts per Million of copper is still nothing to get excited about. What brand oil?

If you auto-x 10x on that oil, I'd step up to something like Motul 300V 0w-20.

The fuel is more concerning to me as it impacts the oil quality. Typically, high fuel is a result of excessive cold idle, and can be resolve by changing that habit. Start the car and go, just avoid high load until your oil is up to temp. It can also be the result of very short drive cycles. By short, I mean 1-2 miles where not even the coolant gets up to temperature.

autoracer86 05-04-2023 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport (Post 3579424)
This is not a bad report. 5 Parts per Million of copper is still nothing to get excited about. What brand oil?

The fuel is more concerning to me as it impacts the oil quality. Typically, high fuel is a result of excessive cold idle, and can be resolve by changing that habit. Start the car and go, just avoid high load until your oil is up to temp. It can also be the result of very short drive cycles. By short, I mean 1-2 miles where not even the coolant gets up to temperature.

I guess I have that to look forward to in my report if Blackstone ever gets the oil I sent them lol

arjunkc 05-04-2023 08:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks! Its about 2x auto-x and 8x track. I do idle sometimes, but most of the time i just start and go. My trips are short: about 5 miles.

Spuds 05-04-2023 10:58 AM

Quote:

Did you mean to say avoid high rpm? Not really sure why higher load at low rpm would be a problem as long as you don't lug the engine. Yeah, the afr is typically lower but more burn means more heat and that means everything gets up to temperature faster.

KillerBMotorsport 05-04-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3579511)
Did you mean to say avoid high rpm?

No. Load is what tries to squish the oil film from between bearing and pin. Low load (torque) does not apply nearly as significant a force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3579511)
Not really sure why higher load at low rpm would be a problem as long as you don't lug the engine.

Lugging the engine is very similar to high load low RPM. Either should be avoided, especially cold where oil flow is at its lowest.

Low RPM load puts significantly more strain on rod bearings. Each rod carries twice as much load making 100 ft/lbs at 2,000 RPMs vs 4,000 RPMs. At 4,000 RPMs that torque is spread over twice as many combustion cycles, meaning the rods get half as much load.

arjunkc 05-04-2023 08:04 PM

How does one avoid high load?

Decep 05-04-2023 10:51 PM

Be in the right gear for conditions. I.e. dont try to go uphill in 6th gear at 40mph.

Ultramaroon 05-04-2023 11:09 PM

Drive it as if the gas pedal can't be pushed more than a quarter way down... -ish.

The car ends up slowing down going uphill even though the engine is revving in a lower gear, and it takes extra time getting up to speed.

Breadman 05-05-2023 03:44 PM

I never had copper in my oil but if you autocross I would highly recommend 5w30 at least until it gets cold out.

autoracer86 05-09-2023 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3579710)
I never had copper in my oil but if you autocross I would highly recommend 5w30 at least until it gets cold out.

Never ? Oh that mights me nervous for my report now lol. Coming in at 3 so 1 point over the average they list.
Using Mobil 1 super3000 5w-30 XE-1(euro stuff) lol

Breadman 05-12-2023 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3580152)
Never ? Oh that mights me nervous for my report now lol. Coming in at 3 so 1 point over the average they list.
Using Mobil 1 super3000 5w-30 XE-1(euro stuff) lol

I actually went back and checked no my old engine since i just got my trucks oil back and i did have some. Id still recommend the heavier oil if you autocross tho