Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   High pitch loud noise after header and bpb install (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125280)

86TOYO2k17 02-10-2018 05:50 PM

High pitch loud noise after header and bpb install

I have a 2017 Toyota 86, about 3k miles. I just had ace header 250, and BPB installed. On the drive home every time I’m around 3k rpm there is a kind of loud high pitch noise.

I did flash to oft OTS Stage 2+ map right away so may try flashing to stock or stage one. Also they couldn’t remove the second 02 sensor so they put a metal 02 plug in. I am wondering if maybe that has to do with the noise. Took a few datalogs and may record a video later.

But maybe someone has some ideas? I popped the hood and nothing seemed loose or touching anything really. The cabin noise tube has some wiggle though not sure if that is normal was thinking about removing that anyways.

humfrz 02-10-2018 07:52 PM

I'd suggest you take your car back to whoever installed the header and ask them to check for exhaust leaks.

humfrz

x808drifter 02-10-2018 08:09 PM

Header hitting something, or exhaust leak maybe.

Tcoat 02-11-2018 11:27 AM

Sure you are not just hearing the normal sounds a header can create? The thinner walls and change in flow can create all sorts of weird sounds. Nothing wrong with them and it is the just nature of a header.

idkwhatimdoing 02-11-2018 04:42 PM

Check the intake spacer first, then try looking at the exhaust. Sounds like an air leak... make sure there are gaskets under and over the intake spacer.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRSBRZGT86FAN 02-12-2018 11:10 PM

This sounds more like a vacuum leak issue due to the power blocks. You'll have to narrow it down by checking the header for leaks first.

86TOYO2k17 02-13-2018 06:13 PM

Taking car back to the sho tomorrow to check it out and get a downstream 02 put in. I’m thinking it’s an exhaust leak, maybe between header and OP. Or maybe a hose came out or didn’t get clamped properly. Hope it isn’t a gasket or BPB issue.

86TOYO2k17 02-14-2018 07:05 PM

Went back to shop, he checked/retightened everything, Nothing was loose or out of ordinary. Didn’t smoke test for vacuum leaks but AFR was normal. Nothing looked off visually. I revved car in neautal and no noise. But when driving the noise is at exactly 2.4k rpm. Sounds pretty normal before and after. He thought maybe a gasket wasn’t cut right and had a small lip inside. Although not hearing anything in neautral is odd.

86TOYO2k17 02-19-2018 03:00 AM

Quick update. I used the cigarette lighter plug to plug the noise generator and I no longer hear the noise. Hoping this resolved the issue and it’s not something potentially dangerous to the car. Is it possible after BPB install that at exactly 2400rpm and only underload “in gear” that the noise generator could make a whistle like sound?

humfrz 02-19-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3046304)
Quick update. I used the cigarette lighter plug to plug the noise generator and I no longer hear the noise. Hoping this resolved the issue and it’s not something potentially dangerous to the car. Is it possible after BPB install that at exactly 2400rpm and only underload “in gear” that the noise generator could make a whistle like sound?

Thanks for the update.

That's why they call it a "noise generator" ........ ;)

Glad you got it figured out ...... just in time for ......"our winter" ...... brrrrrrr

humfrz

jasonojordan 02-19-2018 07:42 AM

Id still check and make sure you don't have a vac leak that the noise generator was just amplifying.

86TOYO2k17 08-19-2020 01:43 AM

Super old update necro. Resolved this issue 2+ yrs ago just forgot about this thread, figured I’d update for others. Header was rubbing the underpanel and at exactly that RPM the frequency made the weird noise similar to an exhaust leak sound. At the time I checked clearance and it had almost 1” of space but under load the engine rocks and takes up that inch. After a month or so header and skid plate had marks indicating where it was rubbing. Hammered underpanel down and noise/issue 100% gone simple fix.