Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Rims first or coilovers first? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89425)

Andrew_FRS_DD 06-02-2015 05:33 PM

Rims first or coilovers first?

so i was wondering if i should get coilovers first or the rims and tires first? or does it matter?

HATED1 06-02-2015 05:38 PM

If you can get both at the same time it would be best so you only have to do the alignment once. However, I have always done coils and Rear Lower Control Arms first.

Having nice rims without the proper stance/set-up is one of my pet-peeves, but that's just me.

ChrisV 06-02-2015 05:44 PM

You don't have to align a car when you change wheels and tires. Wheels do not alter suspension settings. The hub face stays in the same location.

8R6 06-02-2015 05:47 PM

are you looking for more performance or for looks? if you're going for looks mainly though, then definitely coilovers first so you can see what drop you want and calculate the exact wheel/tire specs you want.

86_Insider 06-02-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisV (Post 2272063)
You don't have to align a car when you change wheels and tires. Wheels do not alter suspension settings. The hub face stays in the same location.

This is completely true, but typically if your tires are worn out it is a good idea to get an alignment when putting new tires on. Chances are something is slightly off from potholes or other road issues.

projek_01 06-02-2015 05:53 PM

Lowered + stock wheels looks okay
Stock height + bigger than 17" wheels = 4x4 look

Both at the same time is best!

Andrew_FRS_DD 06-02-2015 05:53 PM

i am planning on tracking this car and also use it for daily driving and dont really care much for looks

ChrisV 06-02-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86_Insider (Post 2272075)
This is completely true, but typically if your tires are worn out it is a good idea to get an alignment when putting new tires on. Chances are something is slightly off from potholes or other road issues.

Agreed, which is why it's a reasonable recommendation to get an alignment when your tires are worn out.

ApolloSki 06-02-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_FRS_DD (Post 2272082)
i am planning on tracking this car and also use it for daily driving and dont really care much for looks

Coils+LCA first. Then get some grippy 225 tires on your stock wheels and you should be set.

Vracer111 06-02-2015 06:13 PM

Proper wheels and tires first and don't even bother with coilover suspension until you know that the stock suspension is holding the car back. Lightweight wheels with properly sized track oriented tires (read stock size or SLIGHTLY wider) are extremely capable on track with an otherwise 100% stock car...Plus just lightening the unsprung mass by 4-5lbs a corner with lightweight wheels and proper tires does wonders to improve the ride quality over how it feels stock.

I'd put money towards the brake system (the car's absolutely weakest link) and an oil cooler (second weakest link) before even thinking about changing the stock suspension in any way. Those are much more critical to have done if you are seeing any track use.

Andrew_FRS_DD 06-02-2015 07:01 PM

awesome
thank you guys for all your inputs

continuecrushing 06-02-2015 07:19 PM

doesnt matter, but both are cool to have haha

rainmonkey 06-02-2015 07:31 PM

Do note that if you're going to get relatively wide wheels and/or wide tires before getting coils or springs or whatever, you just might end up not being able to fit the wheels/tires on stock suspension...

That would be fun, new shoes, but you can't wear em. If you're set on getting wheels/tires first, make damn sure they'll fit on stock suspension

KevinK121 06-02-2015 07:34 PM

I'd buy the wheels and tires first as well.

My decision in that order is based on how bad I think the oem wheels are though lol