Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What should I do if car has been unused for more than 5 months (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144202)

dazhbucked 02-13-2021 11:07 PM

What should I do if car has been unused for more than 5 months

Hey everyone I wanted to ask y’all for your tips. My car has been unused for more that 5 months, it has been covered with a high quality car covered and with the battery unplug, but standing still on dirt. If you guys can help me, what are things I should look for before using my car again?, what are the prone things to messed up or what should I do?.

I also heard that you can prime the oil and fuel pump by pressing the clutch and gas pedal and turning the vehicle, but how exactly does this work?, and what should I left off first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gen3v8 02-13-2021 11:17 PM

pull the fuel pump fuse or relay out crank the car until the oil oil light goes out. put it back in turn on reds but dont start. turn off and then normal start. Check fluids etc first of course

azeo 02-13-2021 11:19 PM

Pretty sure you can cut fuel simply by staying at full throttle while cranking can't you? Same idea though, crack the engine with no fuel to get oil circulating before trying to start it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Ultramaroon 02-14-2021 12:01 AM

^^ this ^^ Can read about it in the owner's manual. I think it's called the flood-clearing mode.

Except the evil side of this technique is that while stepping on the clutch, any existing lubrication is being squeezed out of the thrust bearings. Out of principle, I've been bypassing those stupid clutch safety interlocks ever since they first appeared. Can only do that with a key start.

Just fire it up. It'll be fine.

dazhbucked 02-14-2021 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3406602)
^^ this ^^

Except the evil side of this technique is that while stepping on the clutch, any existing lubrication is being squeezed out of the thrust bearings. Out of principle, I've been bypassing those stupid clutch safety interlocks ever since they first appeared. Can only do that with a key start.

Just fire it up. It'll be fine.

Thanks!, I’m just going to start it up since my car is keyless, I hope everything goes fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humfrz 02-14-2021 03:07 AM

Yep, check the oil level, air up the tires, charge up the battery - then fire that motha up - :thumbsup:

gen3v8 02-14-2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3406617)
Yep, check the oil level, air up the tires, charge up the battery - then fire that motha up - :thumbsup:

Air in the tires definitely helps with a fire up
But the OP does say car not just engine....So...

humfrz 02-14-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen3v8 (Post 3406625)
Air in the tires definitely helps with a fire up
But the OP does say car not just engine....So...

I see that you read his post with more clarity this morning.

I WAS going to :slap: you last night for your lack of reading comprehension, but I'll cut you a brain fart on that one.

:D

Sapphireho 02-14-2021 08:26 PM

I would start it and drive It like I stole it. It is a fucking twin.

jeepmor 03-02-2021 09:54 PM

I've let mine sit for two weeks while on vacation a few times before. 14 FRS for reference. On one trip, it was a bit rattly for about 1-2 seconds before the oil pressure kicked in. Don't wick the throttle and send your bearing loads skyrocketing.

I've had it do on it my other boxer subarus over the years as well for reference. Never more than just the usual bit of tiny shiny bits in the oil as usual. Actually, on my FRS, cleanest oil changes I've ever seen in regards to the shiny bits.

Tcoat 03-03-2021 12:39 PM

These and all other cars can sit for weeks and months before they are even owned. They do not go through any special start up procedures when they do get started.
It is one startup and even at it's possible worst it took .00001 minutes off the life expectancy of the car.

bcj 03-03-2021 06:45 PM

Flush the squirrels out of the CAI and you should be good to go.

ls1ac 03-03-2021 08:04 PM

Mine sits seven months over the winter every year. Check battery tires fluids and start. So far no problems i know of. Bought it new in 2013.

EDIT I do use a good quality battery maintainer.

EDIT2 I add Stable and fill the gas tank.

soundman98 03-03-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3410912)
These and all other cars can sit for weeks and months before they are even owned. They do not go through any special start up procedures when they do get started.
It is one startup and even at it's possible worst it took .00001 minutes off the life expectancy of the car.

my favorite thread was the one that people new to storing their car started randomly speculating that any amount of gas sitting in the tank over 1 week would go so bad that it would need to be pumped out and the entire system flushed...