Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TRD Japan or US quick shifter (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146270)

Bergycheese348 07-27-2021 12:52 AM

TRD Japan or US quick shifter

Hello,
As usual, I’m one to window shop for TRD Japan parts (but I end up buying them lol), and this time I’m wanting to see if anyone has any opinions details about the TRD Japan Quick Shifter MS205-18001, and how does it stack up to the US TRD quick shifter PTR54-18130. From what I see, the US version has a claimed 25% less throw and comes with more things besides the shift lever itself, and the JDM version is more about the actual lever and I saw one site say it has a ‘20% shorter throw’. Not sure if I believe that one site, but like with all TRD Japan parts, they never actually give a good description. TIA

humfrz 07-27-2021 01:31 AM

There ain't nutten wrong with the one that came with your car.

(and grapefruits should be eaten in halves)

Bergycheese348 07-27-2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3452141)
There ain't nutten wrong with the one that came with your car.

(and grapefruits should be eaten in halves)

Correct. It is already pretty nice and short, but a short (or quick) shifter is a good modification to have the car feel better. It’s like racing seats in a street car in a way. It helps the driver sit up straight and not focus on trying to stay upright (comparing as both are same weight). Is it needed, not necessarily.

Ultramaroon 07-27-2021 02:36 AM

That U.S. kit is an actual turd. Stay far away from it. If you want a short shifter, get the JDM TRD, or the STI unit.

gpvecchi 07-27-2021 03:23 AM

The TRD and STi are different. TRD is 8 mm longer in the lower part, STi 4 mm.

Gamace 07-27-2021 07:15 AM

I recently got the JDM TRD Short Shifter installed and it's actually lovely. It definitely aids in the spirited driving experience since the gears are smaller. The websites say 20% yes and that makes a huge difference.

Toyota 86 in the building!

saltywetman 07-31-2021 04:09 AM

Weren't there reports of issues with the trd usa short shifter modification? replacing the entire shifter unit is always a better idea of bolting shit to the existing setup.

LancePower 07-31-2021 06:23 PM

The one nut could reportedly work itself loose if you didn't loctite it up real good.

Other than that, I think the issues were limited to people who had aftermarket drive shafts.

I loved my TRD Quick Shifter. Might have been my favorite of everything I've driven.

Short, notchy with positive feedback.

EndlessAzure 07-31-2021 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@Bergycheese348

I've bought and used both the USDM and JDM shifters for extended amounts of time. They both reduce the throw by approximately the same amount.

I tracked and put tons of miles on the USDM without any problems. I later upgraded to the JDM.

For the driving I do and if I had to do it over, I would have gotten and just spent the money once for the JDM shifter from the start

The USDM shifter

• lower pricepoint, better if you are uncertain if you'll like the upgrade
  • requires a little more diligence and watching to make sure the installation is proper
  • comes with stiffened shifter mount
  • a little less work to install
  • often prone to ratting/more noise

The JDM shifter
  • is more expensive
  • is more sturdy and confident
  • requires a little more work to install.
  • DOES NOT come with a stiffened shifter mount (reuses OEM mount), though you can upgrade if you want

weederr33 08-01-2021 07:57 PM

So I guess I could give my feedback. I actually have the STI short shifter and TRD quick shifter mated together and it's eh. If I'd do it again, I wouldn't have added the TRD but it does shorten throws and it's notchy.