Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Losing traction for no reason? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147316)

julzbrz 10-22-2021 12:05 PM

Losing traction for no reason?

I know people have posted about similar issues but everyone is running different setups so I figured I’d post my personal situation

Disclaimer: suspension is stock and im running 215/45/17s for my tires; same as stock. I recently got my brakes serviced and they replaced my tires too so they aren’t Michelin’s or anything fancy, but I’ve been having this problem for weeks now even before I got new tires.

So when I’m cornering, whether taking a corner hard or literally just going 25-30 mph, I’ll notice my traction light will come on and I’ll slide a bit. It seems like the back is kicking out so I’m not sure if that’s oversteer or understeer but that’s what’s happening. I usually notice it happens when I’m taking corners towards the left but I think it sometimes happens when the curves are going to the right. In the past I was able to take corners smoothly but now it seems like I really need to be careful otherwise I could spin out.

I suspect suspension issues but when I went to a shop about it they said everything was fine.. but they lied about my brakes being fine when in fact they were dog shit and i knew that beforehand so who knows what else they lied about 🤷*♀️

I also notice that sometimes when I’m going highway speeds it feels like my car is shaking/it feels like it’s swaying back and forth somewhere under my car. (if that makes sense) Could these issues be related?

Thanks always for any responses 😆 Trying to figure out if I have a real issue or not.

dragoontwo 10-22-2021 12:51 PM

What tires? All 4 the same tire?

Tcoat 10-22-2021 01:10 PM

Get your alignment checked. Not just a visual inspection but actually checked.

BigTuna 10-22-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3475186)
Get your alignment checked. Not just a visual inspection but actually checked.

This.

Grady 10-22-2021 05:23 PM

What tires did the put on? They may have put shit tires on.

Purist 10-22-2021 07:13 PM

I had a similar issue. Ball joint. I'd get another shop to check your car.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

soundman98 10-22-2021 08:27 PM

tire specs are important, as they could be contributing to the final result, but the real problem is your alignment.

get it put on an alignment jig, get it straightened out, and be sure to get a printout of the before/after alignment settings.

julzbrz 10-22-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoontwo (Post 3475183)
What tires? All 4 the same tire?

sorry i forgot to note that they only changed my rears but before i got them changed (about 2 weeks ago) they were all the same. they put on sceptors which ive never heard of so im sure theyre trash😭

julzbrz 10-22-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purist (Post 3475269)
I had a similar issue. Ball joint. I'd get another shop to check your car.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

yeah i’m thinking something is loose which is what’s throwing me off. i’ll look for a reputable shop, thanks!

julzbrz 10-22-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3475257)
What tires did the put on? They may have put shit tires on.

Sceptor 4xs? I aint never heard of those so I’m sure they threw on literally any tires and they kinda suck 😫 but it’s almost winter so i was just gonna ride them out until it starts to snow and then get winter tires. Any winter tire recommendations?

soundman98 10-22-2021 09:52 PM

tirerack.com look through the reviews.

my first car accident was caused by a cheap, no-name garbage tire like that. it slipped, and slid everywhere. if the ground was even damp, ABS would kick in for many seconds, extending my anticipated braking distances by a matter of 30-50ft...

RToyo86 10-23-2021 12:03 AM

So they only replaced the rear tires? Yeah that's why, and they sound like Garbage tires.
As mentioned start with alignment. If your toe is off it will cause all sorts of weird handling issues.

For deep snow driving Nokian hakkapeliitta R3, Pirelli ice zero FR, continental Vikkingcontact7's.
If you want better dry handling Pirelli sottozeros, or Michelin pilot Alpin PA4 are my picks.

saltywetman 10-23-2021 03:43 AM

The new michelin x-ice snows that came out last year and finally replaced the xice3's are pretty good too!

thomasmryan 10-23-2021 11:43 AM

one would assume the OP has checked the tire pressure.

tires are life and death. choose wisely. most crashes around here involve a wet road so rain/wet tires are prudent.