Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Crawford Performance Billet Power Blocks (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141229)

C_Oatmeal 07-01-2020 10:23 PM

Crawford Performance Billet Power Blocks

Hello,

So I installed the power blocks last summer and at first they were causing my engine to shut off. Turned out, when I was installing, one of the gaskets ripped and when the engine created the vacuum, the gasket completely tore. I replaced all gaskets, even the manifold ones, but a new problem appeared.

Every so often the RPMs dip when I idle in neutral and it sounds like the engine is going to cutoff. And sometimes in the middle of driving the engine does cutoff.

I contacted CP about this and they told me no one else has reported this problem with the blocks. They also said to check the gaskets and make sure they're seated properly and to check the ground extension. I did those and they're both fine. So now I'm back to my original theory that it's a tuning thing.

Did anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? Also, am I correct that it is a tuning thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

alphasaur 07-01-2020 10:39 PM

I would guess you need a tune. Any CELs?

C_Oatmeal 07-01-2020 11:10 PM

Yes there is, but I'm pretty sure its from the UEL header. I had a recall on my car and when they pulled the engine to replace the part, that's when the CEL came back on.

PulsarBeeerz 07-01-2020 11:41 PM

You need a tune to take advantage of the BPB and headers. Additional it would get rid of the CEL.

Kiske 07-01-2020 11:45 PM

May be worth undoing the battery and letting the car relearn after driving with a vac leak. Also, a tune done only once the parts are correctly installed. Unless the UEL and PB aren't playing nicely it still sounds like you have to recheck your install.

MJones_RB 07-02-2020 01:46 PM

Make sure the ground to your ECU is connected completely. That's where most of the problems come from. The ECU loses it's ground loop and shuts the engine off.

Lantanafrs2 07-02-2020 07:57 PM

13s had idle issues with stock tune

sygfrid 10-07-2020 04:29 AM

Still sounds like a vacuum leak. My mechanic cleaned the manifold areas before installing the brand new gaskets. He said any dirt can create a space in between the gasket & the manifold & create vacuum leaks. It took us a while of moving the manifolds a little to set it in place & seal the gaskets properly.